_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Bye Bye Brown

When I first started looking at real estate, this condo was not on my list. Along with three "fatal" flaws, it was in a higher price bracket than I wanted so I passed it over at first except there wasn't much on the market and what was for sale was selling fast. So fast in fact that I lost out on a couple possibilities in the four days between listing and selling my place and by that time, this unit was looking better and better.

What's funny is that in the end, it's been the best of all the choices and was obviously meant to be mine since it had sold and then the deal collapsed and it was back on the market just when I was able to make an acceptable offer.  I love when God does that. And I love the calm comfortable feeling of knowing I'm moving in the right direction. 



I've never been a huge fan of vaulted ceilings but worse than that was the monstrosity of a fireplace. It was just too ugly for me to live with and I was trying to avoid any major renovations beyond paint, flooring, and cabinets.  However, for me to live here, it had to go!




Luckily, the construction crew I'd worked with before was available to take it down and replace it with a smaller, narrower, shallower one without all the niches. When it's finished, I will like it a lot better. It's nice to have a fireplace again. My house didn't have one but the condo before that did so I'm reacquainting myself with flipping the switch and watching the flames while drinking my morning coffee. It's such a lovely way to wake up. 




The living room felt squashed and heavy with a partial wall along the upstairs hallway instead of a railing. Another unit in the complex that I'd looked at had a railing and I much preferred that. In fact, it had a railing, a white kitchen, and a few other things I much preferred but it was also one more floor with an additional 550 square feet that I didn't need and priced at $40k more with higher strata fees and property taxes. I decided I would just have to live with the wall until...



... my contractor told me that it was 6" too short and not to code for the drop below. My immediate thought was of my grandsons jumping up to look over and falling and my second one was oh bliss, oh joy, it will HAVE to be changed. Even with this temporary railing, the space is far more open and approachable. I'm glad that it had to be done. 




The third thing was all the brown. It's not anywhere on my list of favourite colours and the entire house was shades of brown. Light brown. Medium brown. Dark brown. And even darker brown. That would totally have depressed me. If I wanted to stay sane and happy, the brown had to go starting with the paint and the flooring. The crew pulled out all the flooring before starting work on the fireplace and I'm painting the walls white. It's a mess right now but even so, dust and all, it's going to be fabulous. Hopefully before Christmas. 

What is your least favourite colour? What is your favourite colour?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - bye bye brown

No comments:

Post a Comment