_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 23 December 2020

The Finished Patchwork Purse

This patchwork purse was the last project I worked on in my previous home and the first one finished in my new one. My next post will be about the cross over project only I'll be talking about crossing from one year to another and not from one house to another. The concept works with moving too though. 
  




As mentioned previously, I haven't done patchwork for YEARS so the desire to make this piece really surprised me... but only the patchwork itself. I enjoy making handbags just for fun. To me, they are another blank canvas that can be filled in endless ways. The everyday bag that I use is a practical black tote and occasionally, when I want my hands free, I'll wear a cross body bag that I refer to as my walking purse. I imagine I'll be using it more next year since I'll have more time for walking. YES YES!





I wanted to make the handles from some recycled leather in my stash only it was still packed when it came time to finish the purse so I decided on strapping folded and stitched to create a firm but soft top. While it works for this project, I still want to try making leather handles. I think me-made would be the perfect way to both get handles the exact length and shape I want inexpensively and to recycle leather from the thrift store. 





The zipper is an actual purse zipper although I had no idea they were designated as such until I bought it. I think there comes a time in our sewing career when we need to - or at least I need to - peruse the notions aisles and see what's been invented since the last time we looked so long ago. A double zipper isn't new to me. Purse specific is. Maybe there's no difference but they seem much sturdier than a regular zipper and I like that. I used this exact one in two other prototypes while testing patterns before its final home here. 




Originally, I'd intended to use the backing as the lining only that meant binding the seams and that wasn't the look I wanted so, instead, I added a drop in lining in a sparkly turquoise print. 





In September, I started working with a coach/counsellor on some personal and work related goals. At our second appointment, I took in my 2020 collage and she was so enthused with it that she decided to make her own for next year. It was fun sharing and I realized that she enjoyed the show and tell and I enjoyed the accountability of having someone local to share my work with. A win, win. 





Now, at every appointment, I take in something to show her. This bag first went in when it was still in pieces and she loved the lining so much that I decided to give it to her when I finished it. Quite often, the piece tells me clearly who it is intended for. Other times, I'll be thinking constantly about a particular person and decide it must be for them. 




My favourite part is still the shape of the bag. This is what first attracted me when I saw the pattern in Yoko Saito's book Bags I Love to Carry. Now that I've made it, I'm debating changes to the construction methods and how to make it bigger at some point down the road. For now, other projects are tickling. 

At the beginning of the book, Yoko talks about the bags she uses most frequently and - like me - they are basic and practical. I found that funny. We are all alike and we are all different. How amazing is that!

Have you ever found yourself wanting to sew something you thought you'd never sew again? What was it?
Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - creativity just because

No comments:

Post a Comment