_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 30 December 2020

The Cross Over Project

Different people have different traditions for starting the new year - and some none at all. Mine developed over time and are based on setting intentions and practicing self care. This year, with the move, they won't all be possible and that's okay. Instead of rigidly trying to make them happen no matter what - as if I absolutely needed to do the magical thing in the correct order less danger befall me - I am being flexible and adjusting to the circumstances. This is good. At one time, needing to adjust would have been beyond difficult. I see growth. Again. And I'm glad. 

In the studio, I prefer to end one year and start the next with no UFOs. It's not usually a huge stretch since I mostly work on one project at a time, moving to a second only if I truly don't know what to do or because of a time constraint.

December is usually my finishing month. Near the beginning, I decide what will or won't get finished and then I put unused supplies back in stash and do the remaining work. Not this year. This year there are several projects moving on with me and that's okay. It is what it is. 





One of my favourite traditions is what I call the cross over project. This is the project I start on the 30th or 31st and finish in the new year. This year, I chose McCalls 8001 to help me find a way to learn to wear blouses again. It requires a soft drapey fabric that can be difficult to sew with, is a style I've never worn before but may like, and has enough details to make it a fun sew. 


 


The photo shows view C with the sleeve flounce. I will use the band shown in view A and B. Feminine appeals to me. Flounces I'm not so sure. My plan for the next year is to sew garments that I will wear and that are truly me and to sew garments that I might not wear but will be fun to sew. This blouse will be one or the other, hopefully both. 





Another option was Sandra Betzina's new coat pattern - Vogue 1756 - an unlined, loose fitting, duster with fabulous back details. Unfortunately, it was out of the running when our local fabric store didn't have the pattern in stock yet. It's definitely on the To Sew List so I hope it will be here by the time I finish the blouse... which I'll start tomorrow... using an as yet to be determined fabric. 

Do you have any new year traditions around creativity? What are they? 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - trying new styles

No comments:

Post a Comment