_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 22 January 2021

DONE With That Fabric

The renovations are starting to wind down. There are only a few more things for the contractors to finish and then the rest of the work is up to me. It's only been eight weeks, including Christmas break, since I moved in and I definitely appreciate how quickly the work has been done but I am looking forward to having my home to myself and to finding a new rhythm. 




I thought I had shown these pieces in an earlier post but I can't find where so maybe not. They are the two sides of a purse made using hand painted fabric... for the third time. I tested a pattern and took it apart, and then tested another pattern and took it apart, and then cut those pieces down to this smaller size and sewed it together.  




It's a rectangular shape meant to be a cross body bag with a denim strap in the same fabric as the zipper section. The zipper was also recycled three times. The white lines are chalk from a previous rendition and would wash out. 





If I have a choice, I prefer a drop in lining. I didn't in this case and used binding to wrap the visible seam allowances. It's made from a half meter of cotton fabric that was also a remnant. When I make binding, I make a lot of it and put the rest in stash for future projects. 




For some reason, I decided not to check the seams before sewing the binding in place. I didn't want to turn the bag and then turn it back so I just sewed the binding on. A mistake. When I did turn the bag, there were three spots in corners where I hadn't stitched in deep enough. And that's when I was DONE with that fabric. I originally made it as a sample for a painting exercise so it was already a remnant and then I used it for three purse renditions and now DONE, GONE, GOOD-BYE, we are breaking up. I have no more enthusiasm for this remnant relationship however...





... there are still bits and pieces to play with at a later date. The painted ones will be used for jewelry and the denim ones are enough for another purse or accents on a garment. This is what I mean by remnants breeding in the night. They both started out as one piece and they've been used several times and are now in multiple pieces and can still be used. At some point, I'll either be so bored with them, or they'll be so small, that it's time to move them along. 





One of the things I discovered last year is that I sew a lot of my clothes for a particular event like a workshop. If I am going on a five day retreat, I will sew five new outfits that then become part of my regular wardrobe. I was scheduled to take four workshops last year, none of which happened, so no retreat wardrobes were sewn, and virtually no new clothes went into my closet while some have definitely worn out making my minimalist wardrobe even more minimal. Yesterday...

... I stood there staring into the closet and there was nothing I wanted to wear. I have clothes but I'm so bored with them and even with my jewelry... which says a lot... because I have a HUGE collection of statement necklaces. It's time to sew something new for me. 

I looked up the reviews for McCall's 7904 last night. As I thought, it looks best in a fabric with a soft drape, maybe linen. The shape of my right hip is slightly larger and lower due to an accident several years ago. It limits some of the styles I can wear like flowing pants where one hemline lifts or pencil skirts that draw attention to the asymmetry. I think this style will actually work well because it's already asymmetrical. The pattern was in stash. I'm trying to buy less of those as well. 

Do you ever use remnants over and over again like I'm describing?
How do you know when you're done with that fabric? What happens? 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- the potential of endless bits and pieces of fabric

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Myrna. I love your commitment to your creativity and enjoy looking at your varied projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw that you're going to be blogging more again. YEAH!

      Delete