_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 15 January 2021

The Turquoise Sweater: Finished

The parts of this sweater were finished even before the move but hadn't been sewn together yet. Once I started packing, it wasn't possible and I had to wait through some of the renovations to have a large enough, clean enough, space to block it in. I sewed it together yesterday. 




The seam above left is of the shoulder and the one above right is of the underarm/side. I like both. It doesn't bother me that the shoulder seam is visible. The women in my knitting group think that's because I came to knitting via sewing and I'm programmed to sewing-like methods. Okay. It works. I can especially see that with...





.. .the way I pin seams together using stitch markers. I find it easier to align the stitches and seams when they are pre-pinned and I can stitch from marker to marker. It also let's me know where I need to ease in such as around the sleeve cap as shown above. 





I also use the stitch markers to place the buttons. I overlap the two sections, pin the marker in place through the buttonhole, and then sew the buttons to that spot. For this sweater, I tried several different buttons and settled on these white ones that came from stash. Usually, it's hard to find enough of the same button so I'm particularly thrilled that I was able to use what I have. 





Here are the front and back finished. There's no pattern to link to since I used a V-neck style of the same gauge with a vastly different stitch - only for the numbers. The yarn is Berroco ReMix Light. It's one of my favourite yarns and I've knit with it in denim blue, purple, and light grey before and I have some dark grey in stash. I'll be able to use the left overs to make a striped project. 

Next with knitting, I am finishing a triangular scarf knit from remnants that has only a few inches left and then the grey sweater I showed in an earlier posting. I've already sewn the shoulder seams on it but need to add the neckband to determine if my sleeves are the correct length before I can sew them on and the underarm seam. Once the scarf and the grey sweater are done, I'll be caught up to date and can move forward on another project that is cast on but not really started. It's waiting patiently. 

Do you see the cross over of skills from one media to another in your work? Where? 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the turquoise sweater finished and only two knitting UFOs to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment