_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 24 February 2021

Purple Leather Version II

Last spring, one of my friends showed up at the door with a purple leather coat that she'd just picked up for me at the thrift store. How fun is that - friends who thrift for you. 





One of my favourite bag shapes is the carpet bag or the doctor bag or Mary Poppins bag, whichever term you use. I cut the coat up into smaller pieces, appliqued them all together to create sections big enough for each pattern piece, and then cut out and put together the carpet bag. It looked great from the side and from the top but...






... NOT from the front. From that perspective, it was squishy funny. My goal had been to see if I could make something from the leather but now I also wanted it to look good so I took version one apart the next day and then it sat for almost a year until Sunday when...





... I created Purple Leather Version II. With the earlier version, there hadn't been enough leather to make the handles so I'd used hand painted fabric from my stash. The fabric went well with the leather except, with using it only for the handles, it wasn't as connected as I wanted it to be. With this second version, I added the hand painted fabric to the straps and the flap as well and the piece looks more cohesive. 


 


Without the casing, I needed a different way to secure the drop in lining and used denim binding. This could have created the same issue the earlier version had with the handles so I also used the denim as part of the straps and flap to keep it connected.  






Because the lining was the obvious next step but not the literal one, I wrote myself a note before leaving the studio on Sunday otherwise I probably would have forgotten one or both of the feet and the flap and I wanted to avoid reverse stitching. 





Tandy Leather typically has a really good sale around the American Thanksgiving... which is in November... while ours in Canada is in October. I was watching for it to buy a hand press for snaps, rivets, and eyelets. I really enjoy making handbags, plan to make more, and want to learn how to sew them better. Quality hardware is part of that goal. With the sale, I was able to get the pro model. It came just after I moved into my new house but I only opened the box on Monday. I was so excited to use it only...






... I didn't have the die set needed for the snaps I had purchased. Thankfully, Tandy was having another sale. I got an email yesterday saying the set had been shipped so hopefully I can add a snap to the flap some time soon. I had debated whether to add snaps to the sides but after pinning them together and looking from the front, I decided the wider tote was a better look. I have another bag in progress that requires snaps so I'll be able to use the press for that one as well. YES YES. I want to play with my new toy!

Yesterday, I spent eight hours painting baseboards and trim on the upper floor of my house. Everything is done except for the studio since I'd stored "stuff" in there to make the other rooms less full. I am stiff from crawling around on the floor and popping up and down the ladder but today I am painting the wood shelves that were added in three closets. I am determined to have these two tasks done before the end of the month and to start painting the interior doors next. My to do list is getting shorter. Shelves, doors, garage, kitchen. What makes me laugh is they are short words for big tasks. And even so, I'd like to have it all done by the end of next month. 

Monday is March 1st. How perfect is that. The start of the month is the start of the week and it's go time for tasks and intentions. Before I moved, I was exercising five mornings a week doing an online program called Body Groove which is basically dancing. With the renovations, I didn't have time in the morning if I wanted to be dressed and decent before the workmen arrived... which seemed like a good idea... but they are all done for now so I can get back on track...

... dancing for now and hopefully walking around the pond at the park before journal writing some time soon. The weather is looking like an early spring and I am looking forward to getting out of the house. 

When you're working on a project, do you write yourself notes to remember where you're at?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - painted baseboards and trim

No comments:

Post a Comment