_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 24 March 2021

Bumps And Folds

These weeks of downtime away from painting and house projects are going wonderfully. I'm getting caught up on tasks I wanted to get done including finishing the rug and copy some ready-to-wear pants for a friend.





I do not sew for other people but I have made patterns for several friends from ready-to-wear garments they love and want more of partly because I'm an enabler and want everyone to enjoy sewing as much as I do and partly because I really enjoy the puzzle of putting the pattern together. 

This particular friend and I have a lot on common in terms of the styles we enjoy although she is significantly smaller than me and leans more toward bohemian while I'm curvier and lean more toward architectural styles. Several times when I've copied a garment for her, I've also made a pattern for myself but not this time. I tried them on and these pants were definitely too frilly for me and far more suitable to a smaller figure. 

One thing I really enjoy about sewing at my age with my experience is that I have a much better idea of what suits me and what I will wear. When I try a new style, the choice is informed by what I know about myself and when I take a huge step out of my comfort zone to see if I could wear something completely different, I'm delighted if it works out and not frustrated if it doesn't. I knew it was an experiment. 





On Monday, I finished the rug. This was an experiment too. There are a whole lot of things I'd do differently next time as I talked about in the last post but I really like how it looks and the colour it adds to the entry especially with the door open and the light streaming in. 





Because of the way I joined the blocks, even with a walking foot there were a lot of bumps and folds at the seam lines. There was nothing I could do but embrace them so I made the choice to love it imperfections and all. After I finished stitching, I ironed and hammered all the bumps as flat as possible and let it be. This rug is literally going to get walked all over and with time, it'll soften and settle. 





After trying several possibilities for finishing the edges, I settled on cutting a 2" strip of the grey border fabric, pressing it in half, folding it over the edge, and zigzagging it in place. Luckily, I had enough yardage to cut two short strips and two long strips with no piecing. I stitched the inside edge twice and the outside edge once. I like how it looks and I like that it's done. 

I have just over a week before I visit my daughter and her family. She and her husband really need a break so they are going off to a hotel and I'm having a sleep-over with my grandsons. Even though I'll be playing with two little boys who are not at all interested in my wardrobe, it's a great excuse to make a couple new garments. Right after I sew my third test of the t-shirt armhole template, I want to make a pair of pants. 

Have you tried a new style lately? How did it go?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - fun, unique, one-of-a-kind rug for the entry

No comments:

Post a Comment