_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Second T-Shirt Armhole Attempt

Today, I am organizing the garage. I spent the last four days alternating between painting the walls there and testing the t-shirt armhole template in my studio. Because I was painting white over brown, it took three coats which was true for the whole house and equaled far more time, money, and energy than I'd anticipated. Right now, I am beyond tired of painting and and ready to take a break. 

In my last house, I had one big studio that included my metalworking bench. In this one, it will be in the garage and be a three season studio since it's too cold to work out there in the winter. When I packed to move, I left a project unfinished that I'm looking forward to getting back to - a ring for a friend. 





This black and grey striped t-shirt is the first try with my newly drafted armhole template for t-shirts. I wore it over the weekend and it was really comfortable. I didn't have to adjust the sleeves constantly as I had been doing. 





I had time to start sewing before I had time to figure out the changes to the armhole so I cut out the pieces, sewed together the shoulders, and finished the neckline before adjusting the armhole shape from tank top to t-shirt. Above, you can see that it dropped 3/4". This is what I expected only it seemed almost too much when I pinned the pattern in place BUT... as I said... it was quite comfortable so...






... now I'm working on View A of Butterick 6709. I chose this pattern because I've never sewn it before and I wanted to try the adjusted armhole in an entirely new environment plus the buttoned pleat on the sleeve with the elastic hemline are completely different for me and different seemed like fun.

When I was reading the reviews for this pattern, one of the reviewers said she would never make view A or B because they would add visual weight where she didn't need it. Because I really enjoy fashion, I've read a lot of information about dressing for your figure type and it does factor somewhat into my choices but more importantly, I want to have fun sewing and have fun in my clothes. Thin is only one factor and, at this stage of my life, not the most important one. 





The fabric I'm using is a light weight, denim coloured, knit. I had enough remnants left over from a previous project for this t-shirt so I already know I like how the fabric wears and that it goes well with one of the skirts in my closet and will be perfect for spring. I'll need to watch the weight of the buttons so they don't drag down the sleeve. That's the stage I'm at now with the sleeves and hems left to finish before I can wear it and see how well the adjustments worked.





With the tank top, there was - of course - no sleeve. With the grey and black first attempt, I drafted the sleeve myself and when I compared it to the pattern tissue of B6709, had to raise the cap height considerably. I really like this idea of perfecting my shapes and then just tracing a template rather than dealing with the idiosyncrasies of the pattern's drafting. The simplicity of that approach has great appeal especially as I only wear three of the four armholes and am well on my way. By Friday, I should have this t-shirt sewn and will have worn it around and be able to let you know how my second t-shirt armhole attempt went.  

Which is more important for you - figure flattering styles or fun to wear fashions?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a successful first attempt, a hopeful second one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment