_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 17 March 2021

The Studio Was Beckoning

On Saturday, the turquoise cabinet was moved from upstairs in my studio to downstairs in my dining room. On Sunday, I put together the white dresser from Ikea and then reorganized the supplies from the cabinet. The books also went downstairs and a few containers found a new spot but most everything else fit into the dresser. 





The top two drawers hold patterns. They are turned on side and sorted into categories. I like that I can thumb through them without having to take them all out. It's easier. It's neater. 





The bottom left drawer holds knitting tools and the other three hold yarn. I'd like to clear out one drawer for projects in progress so I'll attempt to knit down one full drawer. LOL - making a black sweater would take care of half of this drawer!






This is the Sara section. All of the yarn shown was dyed by my friend who owns Skimikin Studios and sells on Etsy with her daughter. Her colours are AMAZING - my favourite hand dyed yarn. 





On Monday, I finished sewing the simple tee, a second garment to test my latest t-shirt armhole/sleeve template. It worked great and was very comfortable all day so I'm ready to make a third test. The pattern is traced and ready to alter and cut out. 





Before moving onto another garment, I went back and altered the B6709 top to reflect the armhole changes and while it fits much better now, it's not my favourite. I like the elastic in the cuffs but not much else. I'm unlikely to wear it so instead of going in the closet, it'll get cut up and put into the bits & pieces of potential box. 





Yesterday, I'd planed a road trip meandering from one second hand store to another looking for glass doors for one of my kitchen cabinets HOWEVER... when I woke up in the morning, the sun was shining, the studio was beckoning, and I didn't feel like going anywhere. I wanted to stay home and play. So I did.





Another item I finished was this bowler bag copied and enlarged from a thrift store find. It started as a prototype to hold my daughter's laptop for going back and forth to the office only she hasn't done that in over a year now. With the pandemic, she's working from home. I like how it turned out and with a few tweaks, it'll be one of my repeatable bag shapes. 

A few smaller things were finished - surprises for my grandsons to give their Mom on Mother's Day - and two projects in progress were deemed unlikely to be finished, dismantled, and put back into stash so I currently have zero unfinished objects. Usually this happens in December and I'd hoped to have it happen in January but here it is March. Oh well. Better late than never. 

This morning, I am starting a rug. In my stash was a stack of hand painted rectangles left over from another project. Even though they are canvas, the idea came from our local quilting store that has a rug at the front door made from cotton strips. It takes a lot of abuse and still looks great so I think it's worth the work plus it will do something with these remnants and be one-of-a-kind which I like. Theirs is square. Mine will be a long rectangle to go in the foyer by my front door. 

What did you finish making recently? What are you working on now?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - no UFOs

No comments:

Post a Comment