_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 9 April 2021

Unfamiliar Fashion Object

It's five o'clock Friday afternoon and I'm just getting to writing this post. I've been experimenting in the studio which is a fancy way of saying I've been sewing a lot of fails. It's good learning but doesn't leave me with much to post about. 

I made a white blouse with gathers along the button band at bust level. It looked ludicrous. I tried a basic blouse as part of my goal of creating a blouse armhole template and matching sleeve and decided to sew the pattern as drafted first before my usual alterations. The sleeve was too tight and the shoulder too long. So I tried again with alterations. This time, the shoulder width and the cap height were great but the front wouldn't even button up. I think there are two things going on. 

Not only are these experimental fails part of life along the learning curve but I have also put on weight so I need to stop trying to fit into the size I was and figure out the size I am. Frustrating. Weight and I have had a rocky lifelong journey. I'm not happy about it but I definitely deal with it better than I used to. Right now, there's too much other stuff going on in life to get myself all knotted up over new numbers. Thank God (literally) that I sew. 





BUT... even with all the fails... the white t-shirt was successful. It emotionally feels very strange - like a flashing, neon, look-at-me, light - and it makes me feel huge. I know that's just the difference between white or light compared to black or dark like I typically wear. It's a UFO. In this case, an unfamiliar fashion object. Like I said in the last post, I can't remember the last time I had a white t-shirt. We'll see if I can actually get used to wearing it. 

My friend Caroline stayed over Thursday night and we spent two days in the studio. It was nice to have company and it's definitely fun to have a friend that shares my addiction. We've known each other for forty-three years. Spending time together is very comfortable. With all the Covid restrictions, she is one of the few people I see and while we'd both prefer to go away somewhere and take a workshop, this was a nice second. 






The weather has turned cold and windy. I imagine I'll be inside this weekend and can continue experimenting in the studio. The last time I successfully sewed a blouse, it was Butterick 6786. That was a few years ago and a smaller size so I'll re-do the pieces and sew it again while working out the armhole template. With what I've learned from the earlier fails and the previous success of this pattern, I think I'm close to the answer. I'd prefer no bust dart as in views C and D and a shirttail hemline so I'll use the C/D pattern pieces and copy the hem from a different pattern.  

My approach to sewing a more creative wardrobe has been to develop shapes that work for me such as necklines, armholes, and crotch curves as well as the silhouettes and then to fill in the form. What is your approach? What would you like your approach to be?

I'll be curious about your answer as I am looking at working with a creativity coach to develop some in-person workshops. I just need to send the payment and I can't believe the resistance I've been running into. My critic is doing quite well, nattering on to me about everything that could go wrong. It's both a blessing and a curse that I've written and taught in the past. I know I enjoy it and I also know the pitfalls. Sigh... Life... 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - sewing with a friend

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading about your sewing process. I’m still in my nascent days of learning and haven’t developed any specific approaches of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope as you sew more and more that you'll be aware of the systems that work for you. It can make it so much easier when your hands move with ease while your mind is bubbling with creativity.

      Delete