_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 19 May 2021

A Sufficiently Motivating Why

This weekend, I am getting a surprise visit from my daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons. I guess it's not really a surprise if I know about it but then again, I've only known for a few days. I am VERY excited. It has been forever and ever since I saw them last. They are here for the long weekend. I'll be spending a lot of time snuggling with the boys and providing child care while my daughter and her husband take a mental health break. It's just what we all need. 

With such short notice, I'm prioritizing what needs to be done before they come. Yesterday, I organized the crawl space and started thoroughly cleaning it. Since it's 6 1/2 feet deep, the boys will be able to play down there and build forts with all my moving boxes but only if it's clean. I couldn't believe the dust. I emerged so covered that my hair looked grey and I'd lost my voice, which I didn't know until I tried to answer the phone. I am not sure the previous owner ever cleaned down there because there was still some construction debris and the unit was built in 2006. 

AND THEN... there's a problem with my desktop and it won't open which meant I couldn't size pictures to post. Not that I had a lot but some. I started a pair of OOP Marcy Tilton pants, spent some more time on the copper pendant, and have little green shoots peeking up through the ground along my walkway and tiny tomatoes on my plant. Progress. 

On Monday morning, I had a lovely conversation with Ellen, the owner of the flower shop downtown, and discovered we had a lot in common. She was very open to the idea of me renting space within her business for my metalworking studio however, she's waiting a week to answer while she thinks through the logistics and talks to her staff and also to avoid saying yes and then wishing she'd said no. Very wise. As I expected, she was supportive and encouraging and urged me to go forward no matter what. 

That's definitely the plan. I was asked to submit an expression of intent for an upcoming exhibit in Spring 2022 at the local art gallery. When I queried the inclusion of jewelry, the director said that yes, my bold sculptural style would work great. I have never heard my work described that way. Not only was it nice to have a recognizable style, it also felt completely right and complimentary to the architectural style of clothing I prefer. YES YES. What I like about the possibility of being included in the exhibit is that it would give me a goal to work forward to which would be helpful to getting established.

Monday afternoon was another session with my creativity coach. I am SO GLAD to be working with her. So much has happened since our initial consultation. I've gone from wondering to feeling energized, focused, and forward moving and that's something I really needed. Through working with her, I've put down old plans and picked up new ones. I've identified how important it is for me to leave the house and to become more visible and connected in my community. And, I am trying for the impossible dream of an outside studio before settling for other options. 

Which leads me to my latest decision. This is my last post. Now that I've decided not to pursue writing, teaching, and retreats around creative fashion, sewing is becoming entirely personal again and I'm looking forward to that - to just enjoying the process.

If you are interested in metalsmithing and my bold sculptural style of jewelry, I intend to post my work to an Instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/oneatatimebymyrna/ - once I get a phone and figure out how to use it. While I won't be here, I will be there. Soon. I hope. 

I once strongly resisted having a computer and eventually discovered a sufficiently motivating why. A cell phone has been exactly the same and even though I now have a why, I still won't be carrying it around, turned on, everywhere I go. HOWEVER, having a cell phone is important to building a creative jewelry making practice and that is important to me especially as I begin The Year of Turning Sixty and move into this next decade of my life. A sufficiently motivating why. 

THANK YOU so much for reading my blog and for supporting my creative journey. It is very much appreciated. 

Take care - Myrna

Grateful - progress

5 comments:

  1. I have been reading your wonderful blog posts for almost ten years, Myrna. I've always found them to be both inspirational as well as motivational. You are such a creative woman. So, I will be sorry to see you leave the blog sphere. But, I am thrilled that you are following your muse and focusing on jewelry design. Best of luck and I can't wait to read about your new studio space in the flower shop - yes I have started following you on Instagram. Have a lovely weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful weekend with my family. We were all here and that was such a treat.

      THANK YOU for following me through ten years of blogging and forward. I am excited to see how things go next. I haven't heard about the flower shop yet. I'm hopeful but I also know if that doesn't work out something will. YES YES. See you on Instagram.

      Delete
  2. So nice that you had a lovely family reunion. You are such an inspiration. Can't wait to see where you set up your studio.
    I've also started on a new trajectory (even though I'm 65). I bought a Cricut and an EasyPress and have been pressing decals on my hand-made masks, which I sell on Facebook. So far, I've made more than 250 masks and I hope that mask-wearing days are coming to an end. So, I will now focus on designing fancy t-shirts using the Cricut cutting machine and, hopefully, hand-stenciled fabric paints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH - Good for you. I'm glad you have found a new trajectory. I love that I now have new books and magazines to read, workshops to take, and artists to follow. It's a fresh kind of energy. Enjoy.

      The flower shop got back to me and they have decided with the growth of the business that they need their space. For now, I'm going to try setting up in the dining area while waiting for another outside opportunity. I feel called in this direction and I trust that God is working it out. I need to do my part.

      Delete
  3. Although I'm sure you're disappointed in not being able to set up your studio in the flower shop, I think you might be right in thinking that you need to pursue an outside studio opportunity and I hope you find one soon.
    You do sound excited and energized by the prospect of a new path, and since you have a strong well-defined voice in your jewellery designs - they're lovely pieces - I'm sure you will do very well in your new venture. And, hey, if you ever decide to journal your progress with a new blog, I'll be reading and cheering you on as always. Best of luck, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete