_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 14 December 2021

Beginning Again... Again

When I posted in May that it was going to be my last post, I truly believed I was done with blogging. I thought I'd found a new direction and intended to do the work to make it work. And I did work... hard... however life, as I'm sure you know, rarely goes the way we think. 


My plan was to create a body of work and to not even think about selling until the fall of 2022 only, for the second time in my life, a gallery called me and asked to carry my work. It was the same gallery that used to carry my textile pieces and the owner, Carolina, had seen my jewelry on Instagram. Eighteen necklaces went to a pop up show that started on November 4th and runs until December 24th. So far, none have sold and while that's disappointing on one level, it's really good information on another.
I know it's not the quality of the work both in terms of design or workmanship and my first instinct is that it's the prices. I'll see what her feedback is after the show however, with the gallery fee included, the pieces range between $200 and $400 dollars. That's not in my buying range and although I know that someone somewhere can pay those prices, I don't know who that someone is or where she lives. It made me think. Again. Trying to find that thing that is both a bread and butter product and a lot of fun to create is like a roller coaster but thankfully, eventually. the ride finds its rhythm.

I had a major meltdown one day when it all seemed too much and overwhelming and sent an SOS email to my previous creativity coach - Diane Ericson. Thankfully, she was available for a long chat that calmed me down significantly. I've thought a lot since about what to do next and have started exploring parts in the form of beads and buttons as well as finished pieces. I've been working with polymer clay and I love the happenstance of mixing colours and seeing what comes out. In the new year, I'll be exploring this concept more.

At the end of November last year, I'd just moved into my new townhouse and the renovations had started with workmen, tools, ladders, and assorted stuff everywhere. I was painting the brown and darker brown walls and the yellowed ceiling with an all over bright white that massively improved the look with every stroke. Except for essentials - like a sewing machine and a serger - most of my things were piled high in boxes in the garage and would be there until just a few days before Christmas. The final bits didn't finish until near the end of January and once the last workman walked out the door, I did virtually nothing more for a full year, until now.

At the beginning of December, I started painting again. I haven't taken any pictures yet but one of the white walls is now a denim blue, the island is lime with a blue wash, and I'm working on the kitchen cabinets which proved to be quite frustrating. I'd planned for a dark grey only when I applied a first coat, I thought it might be too dark. Then, I applied a coat of white primer and decided it was too stark so I met in the middle with a medium grey, which pulled purple, and reminded me that I prefer dark colours on smooth surfaces like these flat panel doors. And now, they are back to dark grey and I like them. And I've put the gesso coat on an abstract painting, the first step of something I've never done before.

It's somewhat synchronistic that I am returning to blogging right now. I did that at this time last year as well and then I quit again. After blogging daily for well over ten years, I stopped quite a few years ago when life went on an incredibly bumpy ride at the same time that blogging was replaced by other forms of social media and I haven't managed to rediscover that consistent rhythm again. So many things have shifted this year. Perhaps now will be the time. I hope so. I debated resurrecting one of my previous blogs or starting a completely new one completely and have decided to restart here because it's the easiest choice. And easy feels doable right now.

When I started making jewelry, I created an Instagram page and I also joined some Facebook groups in an attempt to hang around with like minded people. I hated it. Social media doesn't resonate with me. I like long form writing, with illustrations, with sharing, with mutual support and encouragement. I prefer comments to likes. I especially prefer knowing how what I posted resonate with you. Although the "good old days" of blogging may be gone, I hear that long form writing and personal story blogs are still popular and that's my style so here I am... beginning... again... both in an effort to meet like minded people and because writing is something I enjoy that is also good for me. I am starting with the best of intentions to keep blogging long term and I hope if you enjoy reading my blog that you'll encourage me with shared conversation.
Thanks for sharing my creative journey. Talk soon - Myrna Grateful - brave enough to begin again

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Back, Myrna! When I opened my Bloglovin' feed and discovered your post, I was absolutely delighted. I've always enjoyed reading about your creative life and artistic ventures, so to see you back on the blog made my day. And, I think that writing is something that you excel at.
    I hope you find your bread and butter/creative niche soon. Although I'm six years older than you, I'm also exploring the possibility of generating an income and have decided to try developing and selling digital designs on Etsy. It's a steep learning curve, but I am thoroughly enjoying it. Good luck, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Helene. So good to read your encouraging comment. It is a steep learning curve and also good for us on so many levels to be trying new things. I was surprised at how much I'm enjoying polymer when I didn't like it at all the last time. Obviously, it's me and my approach that have changed. I hope digital designs generate an income for you. I know that balancing act of wanting to be creative and enjoy ourselves and make some money too. What is your Etsy shop address?

      Delete
    2. I haven't started my Etsy shop yet because I'm completing two courses that teach Scalable Vector Graphics using Adobe Illustrator. After that, I'm going to work on two Etsy Startup Courses delivered by two very successful women. And, I've been thinking about developing SVG's of Inspirational/Creativity Sayings - the successful Etsy shop owners recommend picking a narrow niche to find the dream customer.
      You used to add inspiration/creativity quotes in some of your old blog posts and I often copied and pasted them in a Word document to provide me with encouragement while I try this new venture. So, you see, you really are a positive role model.
      And, I hope that your Polymer Clay jewelry does well in the marketplace. BTW, the top selling items on Etsy are Jewelry - just saying.

      Delete
    3. I really love that you're learning new things and moving in new directions and - LOL - that my love of quotes has been helpful. I appreciate hearing that I'm a positive role model. I definitely want to be one. I may have more questions about jewelry and Etsy at some point. Right now, I'm sampling button ideas and working on my pieces for next year's exhibit. .

      Delete