_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 31 December 2021

Into The New Year

My cold is improving although it's not in a hurry to go anywhere fast. Thankfully, I am feeling well enough to do a few things plus this was already a quiet week with the option of moving slow. Right now, I don't have any plans until Monday afternoon with the audiologist and they can decide if they want to see me or not. 





Earlier this year, I gave someone a new sewing machine. I'd bought it in a moment of panic when the control foot on mine was on endless backorder and then regretted the decision. Although it was less than what I owned, it was far more than what she owned and I was happy to send it to a new home. 

Normally, I wouldn't mention that except it's part of my point. I've always believed that what goes around comes around although rarely in kind. Last month, I took my serger in for a tune-up and found out it was irreparably damaged. Since I'd had it for almost forty years, I was stunned, shocked, in grief, and wondering when I could replace it since there had been some significant bills lately.

When I mentioned it to my friend, she said she had a second one sitting in the closet doing nothing. I'm not sure why she replaced it with her current one so quickly but it still smells new. And she gave it to me. Just - Gave - It - To- Me. How amazing is that! I am so grateful. 



Gratefulness is something I want to take into the new year along with being more adventurous and trying new things, just for fun, not for a lifetime commitment, like the abstract painting for over my fireplace. This week, I moved to step two and used a pencil to scribble all over the surface. I think I also have some water soluble coloured pencils. If so, I'll use them next. If not, I'll see what I have. Using what I have has been a stretching choice in the past. I'm taking it into the new year as well.

One of my yearly traditions is to finish one year and start the next with no UFOs. Last year, it wasn't possible with my recent move and the ongoing renovations BUT... this year, everything is finished and I'm ready to begin the crossover project. I typically choose something that will be fun to make, has creative details, and is a piece I really want to sew. This year, I'm copying this RTW garment with so many changes it made me...





... wonder why I bought it in the first place because even at the consignment store, it was quite expensive. I think it was to support my friend who owns the store and probably, if I'm honest, just to buy something after finally getting out from lockdown. I really like the pockets. The fabric feels cheap even though it has great drape. I don't like the neckline shape and the poor sewing totally frustrates me. I couldn't find the exact garment online however, based on the prices at the boutique in town where this was most likely bought, it would have been $300.00 Canadian or more. Hello! So glad I sew. 






These are my favourite parts - the godet at the side and the shape of the armhole. Again, you can see the poor sewing at the underarm point. LOL - mine will be better... I hope... she says. While I like the godet at the underarm, I don't like it at the hemline (see below) where it ends with a folded slit-like-look. I plan to connect that edge so the finished garment will have more of a lantern shape





Although this post will be published on New Year's Eve, I wrote it yesterday. Hopefully by now I have finished the socks I'm knitting and have started working on both my 2022 collage and this outfit. That's exactly how I like to spend December 31st and January 1st. In my studio. Being creative. Doing what I love to do. I wish you a happy, creative, new year. 

What are you taking into the new year?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a fun project to work on

4 comments:

  1. Mid second lockdown--I think, they're starting to blur together--I started to panic that my 30 something Bernina serger might die and so I ordered the Juki sight unseen based solely on reviews. I love it. Turns out my old machine was a Juki in disguise, so the transition was surprisingly seamless for me, lol, and it's even forgiving when I do something silly like forget to set the presser foot down. Your karma really came through to be gifted that machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH - thank you for this comment. I've been debating a Juki as a second machine because I got the feeling it was similar to a Bernina. What model do you have? Do you free motion with it and how is that?

      The serger gift was lovely. I think we all need to feel seen, heard, that we matter and with some of the other things going on in my life, this was an amazing shot of energy. So appreciated. My friend and I have known each other for forty-three years. That's a huge gift as well.

      Delete
    2. My original Bernette 334ds serger is still going strong, although it gets used more as a backup machine now that I got the Juki MO654de. Having had the chance to briefly run a Bernina 2000d serger in the interim, I won't say that the Juki is *quite* on that level, but it's a straightforward workhorse that's zipped through just about everything I've asked it to do. For my backup conventional machine I went oldschool and got a vintage mechanical Bernina (530, not to be confused with the newer model) and I have been stunned at the precision engineering. I knew those old machines had a cult following, but now I know why. I haven't tried free motion with any of my machines--yet--but it's on my list of techniques to learn.

      Delete
    3. Yes... I'm in that following. I have a Bernina 1020 and LOVE it. Perhaps I should start shopping for another vintage model, lightly used. Hmm...

      Delete