_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 17 January 2022

Planning A Workshop Wardrobe

Celebration is really important to me and I have especially always celebrated my birthday. I have no problem with my age, what it is or telling anyone, since the opposite of older is dead and I'm happy to be older. Some birthdays, like this year, are just a little extra special. I turn sixty in June. I think I'm surprised to be this age already and I know for sure that I am grateful since unfortunately others have passed away too soon. 

As part of the year of turning sixty, I have registered for a Design Outside the Lines retreat in Ashland, Oregon in March. I've been to this retreat several times and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time. This will be the first event I've attended since June 2019 and I really, Really, REALLY hope nothing prevents the trip as I desperately need both a road trip and the creative energy of a workshop. 

One thing I love about going to workshops is planning what to wear and sewing new garments. Until we were locked down, I didn't realize this was the main way I replenished my wardrobe, which is in need of replenishing, so I will act as if I am definitely going right up until the last moment and if for some reason I can't attend, I'll plan an alternative event to wear my workshop wardrobe for. 

I love fashion from the perspective of what suits each of us individually - both physically and emotionally. I was in a high end boutique several months ago and the sales woman wanted me to try on a particular outfit and didn't understand when I said I couldn't carry that off. She thought I could and yes, from a physical, does it suit my figure, perspective I could have but from an emotional, do I feel like my best self in this outfit, perspective I couldn't. When I explained, I got the impression she had never considered that before while I think it's vital and why a sudden makeover might not be successful. We evolve into ourselves not catapult. 

Along with the year end round ups,  I have been watching wardrobe building videos and especially Emily Wheatley's like How To Build a New Wardrobe. While she describes her style as chic, edgy, and minimalistic and I describe mine as minimalistic and architectural, we have a lot in common. I think her approach is doable no matter what your style is and even if you're not sure. 




Personal style isn't something you pick up off a shelf. It develops over time as you experiment with different ideas and get to know yourself better. For myself, I had no idea at all and was, in fact, playing it safe with my choices and then suddenly it clicked. The only shift I can think of is that I returned to fashion sewing and started being more intentional, paying attention, wearing only what I loved, and not settling. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know how much I relate to this image above because it exactly illustrates my go to look of a black top, funky bottoms, and a statement necklace.




Although that is my go to look, it's not the only one I wear and I try to add new pieces with new energy as I go along. Being more aware has helped me make less mistakes. For instance, I'm drawn to the look above left from the back and yet not at all from the front above right. With a pear shaped figure, I know that garments like these, with volume at the waist and hips, will not be flattering on me. Without waist definition, I'll look like a tent. 

If I bought these garments, they wouldn't get worn. If I sewed them, I'd keep the shape of the pant legs and eliminate the fullness at the waist and I'd keep the fabric of the top and substitute a pattern with defined shoulders and waist shaping. Those choices would allow me to maintain the funkiness, the high contrast, and the fun of the outfit while altering it to work better for me. No compromise. Only what I love. 




I can use that same information to evaluate these two tops. The one at left has far more fullness through the waist and hip while the one at right has more waist shaping and smoothness over the hip. Both appear to be sewn with a crisp fabric. As a curvy person, stiff fabrics are both uncomfortable and unflattering. In a drapey linen, with an on point shoulder seam and a bit more shaping, the blouse at right could be flattering on me and go well with my style. I'm debating drafting something like it as part of my workshop wardrobe. 




In her video, Emily talks about anchor, branch off, and layering pieces. She tends to build module wardrobes within an overall wardrobe. I decided to look at the garments I wear the most frequently and what they have in common. They are a black skirt, a black and grey check skirt, grey striped pants, black and white striped pants, dark grey denim jeans, four black t-shirts in different styles, a black and white t-shirt, a three fabric dress in the same colours, and a black dress and, if you look on the shelf above, two purple textured cardigans and a dark grey textured cardigan.

Know yourself. I remember when I would look at outlines for a basic wardrobe and there would always be a blazer and a white button up shirt on the list and I can't relate to either. I never wear blazers but I do wear cardigans a lot. I rarely wear a blouse and never a white one. I am most drawn to soft garments not crisply pressed ones. It's a waste of my time to sew garments I won't wear and and a waste of my money to buy them, no matter how good the sale, no matter the quality of the fabric, no matter the amazing thrift store find. If I won't wear it, it's not a good deal. I learned that lesson the hard way. 




I don't wear black so much black it's easy or because I think it's slimming. I wear it because it fits my esthetic and I like it. One way to add variety to a predominately black wardrobe is with layering pieces like cardigans but also with accessories like scarves or...





... necklaces.  This is where Emily and I differed greatly. When I searched for jewelry on her channel, I didn't even watch the videos because they appeared delicate and understated. I think it was in the video above that she talks about accessories not taking over the outfit which is - I believe - another emotional level. Taken over is different for different people.

I tend to wear one ring and a statement necklace and that's the limit I'm comfortable with since I also wear glasses, make-up, and like big hair. However... I have a LOT of statement necklaces, far more necklaces than I have garments, since a black t-shirt and a million necklaces equals a million outfits. 





Another part of the year of turning sixty has been focusing on ever increasing holistic health including physical health. Since the beginning of November, I have lost seventeen pounds through calorie counting and added exercise. It seems to be working for me since, occasional struggles aside, that's 1-2 pounds a week which would mean another eight to sixteen pounds before the retreat.

With my figure type, I gain weight on my hips first and bust last and lose it on my bust first and hips last. Since I need to finish the jewelry pieces for the upcoming exhibit, in my sewing and knitting time I am working on the upper garments for the workshop wardrobe and I'll sew the lower ones in the month before leaving. My next knitting project will be this bulky cardigan - Sucre Cardigan by Rowan - in black as both an anchor and a layering piece. And I have black yarn in stash. This is good!




Typically, I've posted my What Will The New Year Hold collage by now only I haven't yet. It will probably be later this week. Since I'm the one making them year to year there are obviously similarities but this year feels different along the lines of this quote -  calmer, more settled, leaning into life, looking for fun, done with drama. This too is good. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- exploring a favourite topic

3 comments:

  1. What a great post, Myrna! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I'm so glad you found it useful. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete