_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 21 January 2022

The Trio Refashion Bag

The last workshop I attended was in June 2019. Any I'd registered for in 2020 were cancelled and I didn't even try in 2021 but now, I really need a road trip, a workshop, and some creative energy. I've signed up for the Design Outside the Lines Retreat in Ashland, Oregon in March and that's already been energizing. It is FABULOUS to have something to look forward to, to prepare for. 

The workshop is always taught by Diane Ericson who I've studied with for years and by a guest teacher. This time it's Paula Kovarik, a quilt artist. To help prepare, I ordered her book and it was fun to see what we have in common and even what we don't. Before I returned to sewing fashions, this is exactly the kind of work I used to do and - like her - I was known for my threadwork only last year when I started making a textile piece, the initial enthusiasm wore off quite quickly and I packed it up and put it away with not even a niggle of regret. I am not feeling drawn toward textile art at all which makes me quite curious about what I will get out of her part of the teaching. Something for sure. There is always something. 





Although textile art feels long ago and far away, I want to be open to whatever I can use in my current work. One of the things Paula and I have in common is that we cut up previous pieces to make new work. As a way of representing my openness, I decided to turn a previous piece into a large bag to hold workshop supplies. 




This is it in progress when I initially made it for my last exhibit in January 2010. Even though it's been tucked away in my bits & pieces of potential box for quite a few years, I haven't outgrown the colours, the flowing lines, or the dense threadwork and it was fun to evolve forward. 





In the next post, I'll show some of the design steps. This one is about the finished bag. With the exception of some purse foam, I had everything I needed and all of the fabrics used were from a previous project and cleared space in my scrap basket. 






The shape is commonly referred to as a doctor's bag or a Mary Poppins' bag with a folding frame. It's one of my favourites with large pieces to design on and simple shapes to sew. The frame slides into a casing at the top that opens wide making it easy to access the contents. It's perfect for workshop supplies. 




I added one zippered and one slip pocket to the lining. The zippered pocket has a black zipper because I didn't have a fuchsia one and wanted to use what I had. The slip pocket has fuchsia edging. Both have a fuchsia lining. I really like that pop of colour against the black and white. 




The bottom and straps are made from quilted denim remnants. These circles were appliqued on the original textile art and I removed them and re-appliqued them to the bottom. And added purse feet. 




My grand-puppy Astrix as visiting when I worked on the bag. She was of the opinion that since she "made" it, she should get to take it home but that's not how it works! She left before it was completely done so there was no real debate - VBG. As you can see, it's a big bag - 16 1/2" wide by 6 1/2" deep by 18" high. I have it sitting on the sideboard in my studio and every time I see it, I'm excited about the upcoming workshop. YES YES!



The weather here - like in many places - is strange. I live in British Columbia, Canada and you may know that we had a heat dome, record forest fires, and major flooding last year and then snow storms this year so far. When I went to bed Wednesday night, the sky was clear and when I woke up, it was snowing. By the afternoon, it was all gone and they're calling for 7 degree weather and rain. SO MIXED UP. But pretty. This is the view from my living room window. On the other side of the fence is a creek that runs all year and if the studio windows are open, I can hear it while I work. Such a gift. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the option to stay in the studio

No comments:

Post a Comment