_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 23 February 2022

Necklines, Necklaces, and the Ugly Bracelet Finished

When you figure out what you like to wear - both emotionally and physically - it can become far too easy to get stuck in that rut. A mentor once told me that as you get older, it's harder and harder to find fresh. I've found that to be true in many areas of life. With clothing, I have to push myself just outside the comfort zone of knowing what works but not so far over the edge that there's no hope of whatever this thing is that I'm trying actually working out. 

Take t-shirts. Because I'm bottom heavy, my preference is for a shaped hemline, typically shirt tail, rather than a straight across horizontal line. It makes sense but if you looked in my wardrobe, you could figure out my favourite pattern right away by all the repeats. The same with neckline shapes. Rounded or a softened V. And with colour. Most often black. And with sleeves. Almost always three-quarter length. There is far too much of a good thing going on. 






My latest t-shirt has a ballerina neckline. My friend and I were discussing what is a ballerina versus a boat neckline and neither of us were sure of the difference. When I looked them up on Google, some of the same pictures came up for both. If they are the same thing, ballerina makes me think soft, graceful, and feminine. Boat does not. Therefore, mine is a ballerina neckline! 

For me, the main thing with the neckline is not just that it flatters my face shape but it absolutely has to show off my necklace. A statement necklace is my signature thing and I can't see that changing... just the actual necklace. I noticed recently that my necklines have edged up. I think it's because some necklaces weren't showing as well due to the way they sat overlapped with the neckband and the bodice. I want to look at that again just in case I'm edging into prissy or frumpy. That's the wrong direction.





Instead of a three-quarter length sleeve, this one has a long sleeve with a flounce that I'm not sure is flouncy enough. In the picture, it looks like a stretched out cuff but on my hand, it has a softer presentation. When I tried the t-shirt on, I didn't want to rip it off right away so I'll take that tiny step away from my comfort zone, wear it for a day at the retreat, and see what I think. Right now - LOL - what I think will likely happen is that the ballerina neckline stays and the flounce goes, probably replaced by a three-quarter length sleeve. 

This is the last outfit for my retreat wardrobe. I've sewn fewer garments than expected and am taking pieces sewn recently so I can wear them a few more times before completely shrinking out of them. Nearly new is a white t-shirt with black polka dots that was too tight and never worn but now fits wonderfully. Completely new is the floral t-shirt, this black t-shirt, and the grey one with the bishop sleeves as well as a pair of black pants with a white bicycle motif. And from my existing wardrobe, one dress, one t-shirt, two skirts, two pairs of pants, fun shoes, and - of course - necklaces. 





When I started sewing the black t-shirt, I just about didn't use this spool of thread because I thought it was going to run out right away. I was wrong. I completed the entire t-shirt, hemming and all, with what was there - barely - but I did it. It reminds me to just try and see what happens which is...





... the same approach I used with the ugly bracelet. I knew if I kept working with it I could get somewhere acceptable if not beautiful. The last time you saw it, it had a coat of white primer. 




Next, I painted it with a mix of dark purple and blue and then added highlights with bronze and silver. I don't think it's amazing and I don't think it's ugly anymore. I think that I made the best of what I had to work with at the time. 

 



It's been a week since I tore apart the studio, put away all the jewelry making supplies, and switched to one hundred days of painting abstract starts. Today is day 10/100 and the switch has been good. I'll talk more about that in the next post. I'm enjoying that my aim is not finished pieces, just starts that may or may not go somewhere else down the line. It's less stressful and more fun. I find myself wandering over to the painting table and adding a dab of this or that... and that's a good thing. It's fresh!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - my outgoing email issues have been fixed

2 comments:

  1. In trying to overcome a creative block, I focused on playing, not completing. I was so surprised that it helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's huge. When I look at my creative journey and see where I've really pushed my work forward, it's almost always a decision that upped the fun factor and removed pressure in some way. I hope it's like that for you too.

      Delete