_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 2 March 2022

Pretty Masks - It's An Oxymoron

 Some days you sit down to sew and it runs smooth like magic and comes together in no time at all. Other days, the most simplest of things can take all day, or even two days, as in the case of these pockets. 





I spent all day Monday sampling pocket ideas for the swing coat only to settle for a simple patch by day's end. My first choice was the pocket on the Burda 6375 skirt pattern only it ended up far too bulky. Cargo pockets wasn't the look I was going for. 





There are two patch pockets on the exterior and two zippered pockets on the interior so I can tuck my wallet and passport inside and not have to carry a purse out walking. Once I sew the zip pockets in place, the lining is ready and so is the exterior shell and I'm ready to join the two together. Since the pattern was for a blouse, I need to figure out the hem and front facings and I want to add a collar. So far it's looking good and taking longer than I thought probably because of the pocket detour and...





... because I spent yesterday sewing pretty masks. I know. It's an oxymoron. I don't like them and I'm grateful to live in a country where we are getting ahead of this pandemic much quicker than any underdeveloped regions. Wearing a mask seems small comparatively and now with the situation in Ukraine, it's a minor, minor, very minor inconvenience. My heart hurts. 





I used the 15" dark squares originally sandwiched for the workshop samples, folded them in four, and cut four parts from each so the six squares made six masks. Each mask has two layers of quilting cotton and then an organza overlay to add more interest and apparently a polka dot theme. I like polka dots but I didn't think I had a tendency to overdo them only the entire holiday wardrobe is full of polka dots. Oh well!





This is abstract start 21 of 100. As usual, it was coming out in the medium to dark range so I added the collage papers and white paint last night so I could come back to it today and hopefully get more contrast. Contrast is something I'm really struggling with and, if I remember correctly, it was one of the reasons I gave up on painting fabric. I was too good at painting all over medium dark patterns and couldn't get the energy and contrast I wanted. Apparently, this is going to require a LOT of practice. And perhaps some workshops. 

I contacted my friend the gallery owner and asked for recommendations and said she was trying to arrange a class at the gallery with a particular artist who happens to be my favourite local abstract painter. How fun that would be! I'm on the list and hopefully it's suitable to the absolute beginner meanwhile I want to set up a private workshop as a fun thing to do on my birthday and to work on this problem... oops, challenge.  

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - persistence

No comments:

Post a Comment