_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 11 March 2022

Toe Tapping Project

The house is clean. It took longer than I thought and I didn't get as much done as I would have liked to and it is what it is. Either way, I'm still coming back to the couch and clean. It's been a LONG time since I've driven this far or spent as much time with other people - it'll be great and exhausting. Home is lovely place to come back to. 
 




I pieced together some of monoprint scraps, layered with batting, and added free motion stitching. Because canvas is a thick fabric, the stitches sit on the surface more than they would with linen or cotton. I took the smaller of the two deli prints that I'd glued to fabric and...





... added free motion stitching to that as well. The gel medium used is gloss and has a glare so I'll try matte medium next time. The deli paper seems strong enough after stitching however, it's like stitching leather - you need to get it right the first time. The idea has potential and I'd like to see what I can do collaging with colourful monoprints on different textures of fabric as well. The randomness of monoprints appeals to me. 





With painting paper, I've been trying to integrate the parts. With this form of fabric collage, it might be interesting to have them stand out in a more three dimensional way. Something else to explore. 





I didn't want to spend yesterday tapping my toes wishing I could get going so I delayed packing the car until after dinner and instead worked on a new purse that isn't quite finished. I've packed it along. It's a combination of a black suiting fabric that I quilted with purple thread and a hand painted fabric that I did years ago and had in stash. The wooden button was made by a local craftsman. The colour comes from crushed turquoise set in resin. It's quite beautiful and I only have one so this is the perfect project for it. 





My take along knitting project is a boxy cardigan with simple rectangular shapes. It's all garter stitch and I've started with the back so it's easy knitting, no thinking needed, for any delays or waits along the way and for at the hotel. Like usual, I've packed all the yarn and - most likely, like usual - I won't get anywhere near to finished but I have it just in case. If I end up in quarantine for ten days on the way home, it'd be another good toe tapping project. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- I'm on my way. YEAH holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment