_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 11 April 2022

Focus And Commit

Ideally, this morning I'm cleaning house. I have a coffee date later that was arranged for the afternoon so my friend could clean her house in the morning. Call me a copy cat but that seemed like a very good idea considering how I've been stacking things in the guest room and ignoring the dust bunnies since my company left and haven't cleaned up the grand-puppy hairs yet either. The house badly needs a clean so I spent the weekend organizing around doing that today and hopefully, I will follow through. I'd much rather play in the studio especially since it IS very clean. 


 


On Saturday, I cut out the colours I'd already painted and kept all the cut off edges. I have this wee small addiction to potential and they were too tantalizing. I may use them in collage if it turns out to be something I really enjoy. I like the way the organic edges could play off of each other. 


 


The colours were far streakier than I thought once I saw them in better light so on Sunday - once again - I moved the studio around pulling the paint table out of the closet and into the main area. I haven't put the shelves up above it yet because I want to see how this arrangement works before I make more holes in another wall.  





I thought I'd explored every configuration for this space but this one is different in that one of the white storage units is still in the main space and the sewing desks are facing the wall. Normally, I don't like to work facing a wall so I hope the fact that there is a window will make a difference because otherwise I'll need to get rid of my chair and I don't want to do that. I use it a lot. Eventually, I want to replace the storage unit for one with doors. 





As you can see, the fabric is dumped back in the closet. This is probably the smallest amount of fashion fabric that I've owned in a long time but, thankfully, it all seems keep-able. The orange knit on top - which is so not me - is for my grandsons for t-shirts for National Indigenous Day in September. 

Earlier, when I tore out the wall between the original two closet doors, I knew there was a risk the space might end up being a closet again but decided if that happened that I preferred to have one big opening rather than the two smaller ones. Two separated doors made it really hard to access the space. I've emailed my contractor to please come and repair the opening, add closet doors, and install adjustable shelving. Before I had two storage units inside the closet and a bunch of boxes. Actual shelving will make a HUGE difference. 





On Saturday, I started a prototype of the pattern I drafted for the bag I bought on my holiday using some gorgeous upholstery fabric that had been in stash for a while. It was layered with canvas and stitched together with parallel rows that look great but are going to be too labour intensive going forward for what I want to do. It's waiting to be finished.

I have avoided talking about my personal life on the blog and will revert to that approach immediately after this post however, I wanted to give you a little background on some significant changes that will impact what I write about. With turning sixty in a few months, I've been considering my life from many angles and really thinking about what I want less of and what I want more of as I age. Unfortunately, when it involves people you care about, change gets really tough. After forty-three years together, I am changing my primary relationship. I've given all I have to give and need to evolve in new directions or this would become the point where regrets began. It's only been a couple weeks since I made this decision. I am very sad and I know it is the right choice. 

While I have flashes of knowing, I haven't recognized myself for quite a while and have found it really hard to sustain momentum, ideas, or new directions. I feel like I'm all talk and no action because I start but can't keep going. That's not the me I know nor who I want to become yet the energy to change has been increasingly hard to find. Added to that, there has been a lot of rejection coming at me lately that certainly hasn't helped. It takes tremendous energy to take the high road.

Although it cannot be diagnosed because the system refuses to label the other party, I am somewhat calmed by the knowledge that it appears I have a level of Cassandra Syndrome. Knowing that gives me something to work with in all areas of holistic health and a way to begin my journey back to wholeness. In spite of any struggles, I am warm, dry, safe, fed, loved, and clothed. I have a studio, stash, and skills to develop. I have a passion and a purpose. I am blessed. This is good. 

In terms of financial health, my finances were set up around a shared retirement and not sharing looks vastly different especially if I want to keep making. I'm not rushing into anything and I am letting it be known that I'm looking for the right part-time job. It would be good for me both financially and socially. And, it only makes sense to do what I can with what I have by making from my stash and by exploring options to sell the things I make. This may sound like changing my mind yet still again - and it probably is - but other things have changed that make it a good decision.

Whatever I do needs to be authentic, unique, and one-of-a-kind so that I enjoy the journey of making and so that it doesn't feel like creative prostitution. I plan to make purses in three styles - zippered tote, pouch, and cross body - using streamlined construction methods and OOAK fabrics. I chose this direction because I have always enjoyed sewing handbags, because they are a practical artform that appeals to many women, and because I already have more than enough supplies on hand to start building an inventory. I want to focus on and commit to this path until the end of the year (please) and re-evaluate then, giving it every chance to succeed until I know absolutely for sure that it will or it won't. 

My overall plan is to continue sewing clothing for myself during the my morning hour, to keep knitting in the evenings, to continue exploring collage and painting to see where that leads, to make the odd jewelry piece, and to spend the majority of my studio time creating inventory which means that more purses will appear on the blog and most will be for sale. I have applied to be part of an art fair later this year and hopefully that works out but if not, I'll be looking at other options. I believe that once committed, providence moves to enable and I am curious to see what God has in mind. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful -  While I'm not okay now, I will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment