_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 27 April 2022

The Zippered Tote Prototype

Yesterday wasn't long enough. Over Covid, there have been days that were unbearable long although - thankfully - most were managed to be just about right however, days that were too short have also been too rare. When I'm busy and engaged from morning to night, it's delightful. 





The painting area in the garage isn't completely set up yet but it is usable. The workbench with the drawers also has doors and I want to put them on to keep the dust off the fabrics. The shelves that were up before are too long for this configuration so I'll cut them in half and mount them over the furthest workbench leaving the bead board behind the closest one available as a back drop for photography. It needs painting. This area will work for the spring, summer, and fall months. In winter, it'll be too cold but I'll figure that out then. 





In the morning hour, I started on a pair of Burda 7062 pants out of a dark denim. I've sewn this pattern before and had it drafted in two different sizes, neither of which is mine. Apparently, I'm somewhere in the middle plus it's stretch denim so I ended up redoing the side seams. The pattern is drafted with darts, facings, and a zipper. I substituted an elastic waistband and that's all I have left to finish. 

I also picked a fabric from stash to (attempt once again to) make a skirt for the exhibit opening on Saturday and I started a necklace by filling the back of this large bee charm with epoxy clay. I plan to use some  bumble bee jasper beads as part of the chain and they are yellow-orange so I decided to wear blue as the compliment to hopefully give the necklace - and the outfit - more energy. 





Paula sent me this picture when she received the necklace I made for her. She was the other instructor at the retreat in Ashland last month. Before going, I looked for images of her online to see if she wore jewelry so I could take her a piece and didn't find a single picture. It turns out she has a metal allergy. I made this necklace with a silk cord, sliding knots, and the same denim squares I showed in an earlier post. There were enough for three necklaces in total. I hope it'll be the start of her jewelry journey as I think she could make some amazing pieces with her own quilted parts. 





This is the last prototype I was working on - the zipper tote. It's made with more of the mono-printed fabrics. I'm really glad the painting area is set up in the garage now because I had so much fun making those pieces I'm looking forward to doing more. 





I'll be tweaking this pattern. Because the handles are stitched on further down and the zipper is recessed, the top has a bit of a flabby look about it, especially when you're carrying it. I prefer more structure. 





I don't typically use a recessed zipper although I think for this style of bag, it's the best option. I'll experiment with making the facing shallower. This one is about two inches.
 




A bag this size doesn't typically have purse feet although I could have added them just for fun... only this is a prototype and I'm still experimenting. When I get to the real thing, I'll start adding more hardware. I'm really happy with how it turned out. 





This fabric is a heavy canvas like you'd find on a frame for painting. I painted it last year while experimenting with acrylics and it's quite thick. I'd never be able to turn it if I sewed it into a typical bag. Here, I am making it into a slip pouch to fit a notebook. It works. I have several pieces like this that I want to use but I doubt I'll make more in the future and instead focus on softer fabrics. 





Astrix was exhausted by the end of yesterday. She thinks it's very important to follow me everywhere so any time I get up and walk across the room, or to another room, or back and forth between rooms, or up and down the stars, she gets up and follows me. I think she thinks I need protection - LOL. 

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- a delightfully busy day

4 comments:

  1. I like a recessed zipper on a tote bag, I think that's a wise and useful option. As for Astrix following you around, I know a dog who does that. I've always figured that dogs are pack animals, so if someone from the pack does something, they want to go along just in case it's something fun or delicious or in case there is pack business to handle (like protection)! (Claire R)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work well. Astrix does seem to think she's protecting me although she's hyper alert to any yummy things. Me too!

      Delete
  2. Myrna...thanks for continuing to post. I've been reading your blog for years and enjoy reading about your winding creative journey. Today the image of a spiral came to mind for me. I have so many interests and I spiral in and out...away then close again. It is such an interesting process. (Cassy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for letting me know. It's very encouraging to read and I appreciate you taking the time to say you appreciate the blog. Your version of a spiral sounds fabulous. At times, mine has felt more like spiraling down the drain or out of control BUT... things are coming about and this is good.

      Delete