_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 17 June 2022

Reverse Sewing

First thing... a question... I'll be working on the videos for a YouTube channel and online workshops soon and would love some feedback on the types of things that irritate you when watching a video as well as the types of backdrops that seem to work best. I've never done videos like this before and it would really help me to get started. THANK YOU. 

Yesterday was super busy so the plan was to finish sewing some pants this morning and then write a post about them only that didn't happen. I cut and prepared the waistband and then inserted the legs into each other to sew the crotch seam and, they didn't match. A front was attempting to line up with a back and that only happens when you've sewn the back legs together and the front legs together instead of sewing a back to a front. Sigh... even after decades of sewing, these thing can happen. I spent the morning hour reverse sewing. They're correctly pinned now and ready to move ahead.





I'm making Burda 7062, a slim leg pant that I've lengthened slightly. It's an "easy" sew with only the front, back, and waistband pieces, five in total. I wasn't sure which of my previous versions would fit my current size so I sewed some shorts to test the one most likely and it fit perfectly. YES YES. I re-drew a clean copy since that one was quite battered, wrote the current date and my finished measurements on it, and now I'll have that one going forward. 





The fabric is a cotton blend, upholstery fabric, bought in the bargain center some time last year when I was collecting fun pant fabrics for my stash. I'd realized earlier this week that I had enough pants, skirts, and dresses for the summer but thought I might need more tops until yesterday when I sorted through my box of alternate sizes. I have enough of them too. What a lovely bonus since I've got other things going on. 

The pile on the right in the above image is the pattern pieces cut out. The much bigger pile on the left is the remnants. How to organize and use remnants is an ongoing conversation for anyone who sews. I know that I want to maximize their potential as well as my investment. There is enough here to make several  handbags as well as enhance with further surface design. That's something I want to write about in an article on my new website when I get to that point. 

The site - www.bagsbymyrna.com - is now live and if you go to my previous website - www.myrnagiesbrecht.com - you'll be forwarded to the new one and I managed to figure all that out and get it working correctly. YES YES. If you visit, the sign-up box is for further information about patterns and workshops. Eventually, once I have the articles page set-up, there will be a notification subscription box for whenever a new article is posted as there is for this blog. They are two separate things. EDIT: June 19th - apparently they are not separate things. I can only have one subscription box so it's for both. 

The draft of the first pattern is written and I've drawn the pattern pieces to fit on letter size paper to be printed on a home printer. I don't actually have a printer. Mine broke last year and since I was rarely using it, I didn't replace it then but will now so I can be my own student, print out the pieces, tape them together, and test the shape while re-taking the pictures I accidentally deleted. It's looking good so far and I'm hopeful it will be finished by the end of the month although I'm very busy next week with my cousin visiting... which may mean fewer posts. We'll be enjoying food, fun, and family together.  

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - significant progress with the website/patterns

12 comments:

  1. You mention letter sized paper, will it also be in A4 for us Europeans please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking this question. I thought they were the same thing until I looked it up so now I'll make sure I have that option. Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been having issues with my incoming email and only saw it this morning.

      Delete
    2. LOL - except today is the 19th. I'm not late after all just don't know the date!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant and thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the heads up.

      Delete
    2. SheilaM - would you mind emailing me directly at myrna@myrnagiesbrecht.com? I'm hoping you'll be willing to print the current pdf file on A4 paper (just a couple pages so you don't use up all your ink) and let me know what happens. All the tutorials I've watched simply change the paper size only I'd like to know that the pattern stays accurate. THANKS.

      Delete
  3. As to things that irritate me with sewing videos (all instructional videos really), the biggest one is poor sound and volume editing. The person will speak so low or far away from the mic that I have to turn the volume way up to hear them. Then without warning, it cuts to music or machine noise at a much high volume. The second thing is not keeping everything in camera frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I would add dirty fingernails and irritating backgrounds. It's all a learning curve for me. I hope you'll hang in with it and give me more advice as needed. I think I'll document the learning curve as a way of starting the channel. I'm hoping it'll help me be okay with not knowing as well as encourage someone else who doesn't and wants to learn as well.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate closed captions, but they sometimes (most times, it seems) do not match the spoken words. Editing / adding text to the screen for important info (like measurements, etc.) helps enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Adding text will be part of learning to edit so that part should be "easy". Captions are something I don't know about. I think many are auto generated which could be why they don't match.

      Delete
  5. I wish you nothing but the best for your new adventure. I just signed up for the mailing list so I know when patterns are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the encouragement. Thank you.

      Delete