_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 1 April 2010

Make It Fun

Make it fun is the best piece of advice I've received on parenting adult children. It's become a point of reference, a touchstone to come back to, when things seem to be headed in the wrong direction.

Make it fun is also great advice in the studio. Yesterday, as I cut out yet, still, again another pair of jeans, I had the same thought. While there will always be tedious steps and drudgery moments, overall I believe that creativity should be energizing, nurturing, and especially a whole lot of fun.

This gold and electric blue paisley print remains one of my favourite fabric buys ever. I bought it fall 1992 and there are only small remnants left. If I remember correctly, it's a Hoffman print. Pretty as a pocket lining.




The reason I know the date is because the fabric brings back some really good memories. In spring 1993, I was pregnant with my third child and in Las Vegas taking a quilting workshop with Mary Ellen Hopkins. I already had the paisley print but hadn't found the right blue to go with. One day, during the lecture part of the class, Mary Ellen held up a piece of yardage in a bright, electric blue. When she asked if anyone wanted to purchase it, my hand went up quicker than quick while everyone else gasped over the price. It was hand dyed and rather expensive by US standards - not by Canadian ones. I used the two fabrics together to make a thank you quilt for my doctor.




LOL - a little trip down memory lane. Now, back to the jeans. The topstitching is done with Coats & Clark denim. It's a variegated blue that's a little softer and less stark. There's no coin pocket either side. That's something I haven't done yet. I never use them and wear my tops untucked so there's not much point however - some time soon - I will add one just to add one. After I've figured out more important details.

I worked on the jeans yesterday afternoon and last night. Most of the seams are permanently sewn. The sides are basted together. When I tried them on, Wendy said they were amazing. That's a nice reaction. They're ready to be worn around the studio for a few hours to test the stretch. Before anything else, I'll redo the waistband. It needs to be cut the other way without as much stretch. Right now, it's big and getting bigger. Otherwise - they're looking good. First, breakfast with a friend.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - for those who teach, share their expertise, and support my passion in numerous ways. In particular, I'm praying for Ann and Shannon who are both going through tough times with cancer.

Edit to add - Shannon and Mike have a blog - A Couple Conquers Cancer

1 comment:

  1. One of my goals is to one day take a class with Sandra and Ron. I'll be interested in your class reviews :) I'm sure you will have a great time. It would be nice if they scheduled classes in my area (Canada).

    ReplyDelete