_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Simple Not Sophisticated

Where do you find inspiration? Occasionally I'll buy a fashion magazine but not often. I rarely visit fashion blogs - the kinds maintained by designers and magazines. I don't recognize designers, their style, or their lines. I don't keep track of this season's trends although I usually come across the information on someone else's blog. My inspiration comes from wanting to express my inner self outward, from day to day life, pattern catalogues, and what others are sewing, and from a desire to learn technique, answer questions, and explore ideas. Fashionwise, I'm quite simple and not at all sophisticated.

What works best for me is a flow of ideas. One thing leads to another and another and another. Cleaning up the studio yesterday took just a few minutes and lead to an exciting idea. I piled the jean muslins and assorted denim scraps together in a box with the intent of using them in a joint project. That was an invitation for my artist to brainstorm, which she did - layer the scraps, add decorative stitching near the edges, and leave bits to fray in the wash.

LOL - I'll use the scrap fabric to make a new fabric, wash it, fray it, and then cut out the garment from there. Most likely a jacket. It's an exciting idea for some time in the future. Although it's different, I'm sure my artist began pursuing this idea after reading Yoshimi's posting Jeans Upcycled. She did a fabulous job of the jeans. Ideas are always connected. They flow.




Here's an idea that's tickling my artist. The folds on the skirt of this dress are made from four U shapes laced through each other at center front and pleated along the sides. The main body of the dress extends right to the hem underneath the folds and shows through occasionally. It's gorgeous. I bought this magazine about a month ago when I wanted to see what I was drawn to. I remember looking through the inside. Funny that it took until yesterday to notice this detail on the cover - LOL.





As mentioned once before, when I hit the overwhelmed stage, it's easiest to retreat to the familiar. The most successful pair of jeans so far has been the McCall's 5592 wide leg trouser style. The only adjustments were for the stretch factor. I redrafted the pattern for a narrower leg and made a flat seat adjustment by removing a wedge about 1 1/2" below the crotch line as per this article on the Threads website. I took out a fairly large wedge based on the width of the wrinkles. Hopefully I haven't over fitted. It happens - VBG!

A week tomorrow, I'll be traveling to the Sandra Betzina and Ron Collins workshop. It starts on the Friday and runs for three days. My original intent was to sew jeans with Ron and to focus on absorbing creativity from Sandra. After three weeks fitting jeans, it seems silly to make another pair. I want to maintain my train of thought and I have no idea how fussy Ron and Sandra are about fit. I know that I am VERY fussy and that I don't want to be disappointed so...

... with Ron, I'm going to sew a jean skirt complete with fly front, fly protector, yoke, pockets, and belt loops. That way I will get all of the jean learning with none of the fitting issues through the crotch and behind. Sounds good to me. I'll draft the pattern from today's pair of jeans once I've finished sewing them and see how they fit through the waist and hip. I'm not expecting any issues.

... with Sandra - along with absorbing creativity - I'll work on fitting a blouse. Blouses are next on my learn list. Before I go, I plan to make a muslin of McCall's 6035 with a princess line and another one of ...



... Vogue 7903 with bust and waist darts. I'm not sure how much we'll get sewn however, having these two styles fitted will give me plenty of opportunities in the future.




This morning, I've been invited out for coffee to a friend's. I want to make some apple muffins to take with. After that, a few errands and then the next pair of jeans. It's Wednesday. Wendy should be coming over to sew tonight which gives me plenty of time to finish them with - I hope - great success or at least some below butt wrinkle learning.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a clean studio, a fresh start

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - One of the women at knitting last night lent me the book Foods That Harm Foods That Heal published by Reader's Digest. Interesting! Quickly flipping through it I've learned that coffee reduces a women's fertility rate and that women with celiac's disease (gluten allergy) often fail to menstruate and may have problems getting pregnant. Wish I'd know that twenty-five years ago. It might have saved a lot of heartache. It's interesting to connect the dots of past and present issues. I'm intrigued by what it might mean to improved health as I age - brilliantly - I hope. Now to look up menopause - VBG.

Carolyn (cmarie12) wrote - Can I just say that I am in the midst of menopause and fight every day to hold onto myself and to love my evolving body... although right now I'm really missing my slim ankles - LOL! I sure wish there was a class on this but I"m glad that I have a wonderful mother who I'm modeling my journey after!

Thanks for the encouragement Carolyn. How fabulous that you have such a great role model. Please feel free to pass on any words of wisdom. I'll take all I can get.

2 comments:

  1. I had a total hysterectomy in 1989 at the age of 41. My doctor firmly believed in hormone replacement therapy and I had none of the nasty side effects of menopause since I went from having monthly periods to none at all (no transition).

    Although I know that many women want to avoid medications to avoid symptoms of menopause, I am very grateful to my doctor. He has adjusted my meds over the years with the changes in the medical community's opinion of HRT. I am on a minimum amount now and still trying to slowly wean myself off the HRT with my doctor's complete support.

    Each of us has to do what works for us and our bodies. I applaud those who choose to deal with the side effects in a manner that they believe in.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was on HRT also and her doctor weaned her off of it after the medical issues arose. She worked out her remaining challenges with food and exercise (walking) and I've found that if I eat purer unprocessed food that I do better than eating junk. I'm trying to walk more and I've noticed the amount of hot flashes have decreased...and I just try to make it through the rest of them with a smile and a fan.

    ReplyDelete