_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 1 March 2010

I Would Buy This

Saturday was one of the best days in the studio in a really long time, an "in the zone" kind of day. I woke up full of ideas for re-fashioning the - yawn, yawn - boring cardigan I showed you Friday from something that I wouldn't buy into something I would.




I would buy THIS - it's ME !




Mary Nanna wrote - To me the ideal look is something that expresses the internal externally. It's something that feels harmonious to the wearer and is a form of self expression. Not everyone feels the same way about clothes but that's how I feel about them.

THAT is exactly how I feel about clothes and why the first version didn't work for me and the second one does fabulously. Your comment touched on a whole lot of ideas. These past few days have been full of clicks, coincidences, and merging thoughts. So many ideas are floating around in my head that I could write a week's worth of discussion in just today's posting... which is why I'm going to spread it out - attempt to focus - restrain myself - and talk more tomorrow BUT...

You also wrote - That's why I don't like cultivating "a look" - because then the "look" starts to define you, and becomes almost a caricature - I'm thinking of things where the clothes wear the person and not the other way round.

I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that in talking about a look, you mean something like goth or prairie or punk or preppy where very definite parameters establish the image and one is part of a sub culture as opposed to a personal sense of style that expresses our inner self outward and one is unique and individual. The latter is what I want.

Sometimes it feels like I know more about what I don't want than I know about what I do want style wise however, one thing I know for sure is that if a piece of clothing doesn't feel like me, doesn't fit well, and doesn't flatter, it's not something I want to wear. Talk about high expectations - LOL.




I've been sewing fashions for six months now. I've sewn quite a few wadders, a selection of solid basics, and a few fabulous items like today's sweater, the embellished skirt above, and the Mod Cloth knock-off t-shirt below. These pieces are expressive of me and the kind of clothing I want to wear more of. That's something I'll talk about in more detail in another posting. Right now...




... some more info on the cardigan re-fashion. Here's the back.




I created it in the same manner as I teach my Self Expressions workshop. Start, do one thing, do another, respond to the developing piece, keep going until it says it's finished. My first step was to fold down and cut off the hem and then add a lettuce edge.




Tucks at the front and back waist created a more defined shape. They are alternated with a 3" tuck next to a 4" one. At the back, the longer tucks are to the outside. At the front, the longer one is in the middle. There are nine tucks in the back and three on each side of the front as well as a few along the neckline to remove excess width, stabilize the edge, and control stretch.




The collar is made from faux ribbing created using a double needle. I cut a 5" strip of the knit fabric and spaced the ribs using the edge of the presser foot. Once complete, it was trimmed to size. I didn't try to figure out how much I might need in advance although there wasn't much left over.




I trimmed the ends clean and then re-attached fuzzy bits of the selvage to each short edge of the collar and then lettuce stitched the long outside edge.




In order to get the correct length along the full outer edge of the back collar, I used tucks along the neckline to narrow the inner edge. They also help to lift, support, and stabilize the collar creating a stand of sorts.




As you know, I made two of the - yawn, yawn - IMHO - boring Simplicity 2552 cardigans. One had the ski slope hem and the other was to test my sizing theory. It's the second one that I made over which means I can do it again with the first one. It is SO MUCH FUN to take the same starting point and go in different directions - like series art. I can hardly wait to explore those ideas.

I was - ever so nicely - invited to the theatre on Saturday night to see The Miracle Worker - the story of Helen Keller - which was the perfect opportunity to wear my new cardigan. I know you can't see the details very well however, here's the front view AND...




... the back, which is not quite so droopy when my arms are down. It looks like it does on the dressform. The other parts of this outfit are very me - a plain black t-shirt, a straight skirt, granny boots, dark tights, and chunky jewelry.




I've read where quite a few people find long straight skirts frumpy. I love how we are all the same and yet so different. A long pencil skirt is one of my favourite looks - especially in denim - especially with heels. LOVED this outfit. On Sunday, I wore the t-shirt and sweater with a short denim skirt - the Vogue 8603 that I sewed Friday. It's a basic skirt. I'm going to make it again in a dark black denim to fit with the SWAP.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - a fabulous day in the studio

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift. That's why they call it the present. - anonymous although I first heard it said by Loretta LaRoche in Life Is Not a Stress Rehearsal

The news is full of contrasts from the high highs of goals reached and personal triumph to the low lows of tragedy and unbearable personal loss. I am reminded to live in THIS moment, to enjoy fully, to be right here right now because THIS moment is all that I have.

I can't re-do yesterday and all that I've planned for tomorrow may never come to pass. Life can and will and does radically change in a moment. While this awareness is not an invitation to be irresponsible, it is an invitation to live life to the fullest, to not become so caught up in the details that I forget to have fun. Often what I make a really big deal out of is..... NOT. Really? Go figure!

10 comments:

  1. That collar is genius! I love how it looks. The Mod Cloth knock-off is really striking. I would totally buy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A round of applause from Portland--your cardigan is fab!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cardigan is FABULOUS! Good job not giving up until you have something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! What a change!! I love it. I would totally buy that cardigan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Myrna,

    I actually liked the "boring" cardigan, but, the updated version is smashing! Yes, I was thinking genius, too! I love the new version. How do you do the lettuce edge?

    I've always loved long skirts too, regardless of what's in or out.

    You look nice in your new outfit!

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrna, if you REALLY wanted to, I would allow you to make a cardigan and that great-looking black top with the buttons for me! LOL They are both just gorgeous!

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cardigan is fabulous! Congratulation! Did you do the lettuce edge with your serger?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Self Expressions workshop. Start, do one thing, do another, respond to the developing piece, keep going until it says it's finished. "


    Myrna I love this philosophy. Can't tell you how much it means to me. I often regret that it takes me so long to finish my sewing, but it is because I'm doing this very thing. It's so wonderful to have a professional tell me that I'm on the right track.

    Also, one of my favorite garments is your long pencil skirt. I think it is a classic, feminine garment and certainly flatters me. Once again, I feel so good to have a professional tell me that I'm doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, this refashion is amazing! I love the collar technique and the pintucks. I think this is a real creative turning point for you in your fashion sewing, and I can't wait to see what else you come up with :-)

    ReplyDelete