_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 30 March 2010

Over Promise Under Deliver

The sizing on the skirt is perfect. I wore it around the studio for a few hours and it didn't bag out although it might be a bit too tight. LOL - too tight is not perfect! I'll have to decide.

The front kept making a slight fold across the thighs. The same thing happens with the RTW version and is probably yet, still, another glitch of stretch fabric. Even if I let the skirt out, it could still happen. My love-hate relationship with stretch fabric continues. There's a lot to be said for knit tops and woven bottoms. Last night, I was tempted to abandon the whole stretch jean journey only I've come too far to give up now.

Never, never, never make big promises about something like the world's most amazing jeans unless you want to over promise under deliver because, for sure, something will happen to derail your plans - like forgetting to check the stretch factor and cutting them out of a less stretchy fabric. I could get them on - barely - and guess what, there were still wrinkles under the butt. SO ANNOYING.

I pulled every book about alterations off the shelf, read through them again and again, and then pinned a vertical tuck on my "muslin" as per Pants For Real People. That seemed to help only I've been there, done that, before. Other things have seemed to help too. We'll see on the next version - only not today - today is a doctor's appointment, knitting, lunch with a friend, more knitting, AND...




... before anything else... clutter clearing. Piles on the floor mean I'm frazzled. After comparing crotch curves, hip width, leg length, and what does this alteration actually alter along with a gazillion other things, there's paper everywhere. I'm at the can't remember what I did and why I did it stage. Envelope stuffing coming up.

Did you watch Oprah yesterday? Her guest was Raquel Welch who is 69 almost 70 as she puts it and looks quite amazing. Her looks didn't interest me. That's packaging. Her comments did especially the ones about losing herself during menopause and feeling like she emerged a new and stronger person on the other side. She said menopause levelled her. Hmm... yes... I can so relate.

There were also Words of Wisdom and Beauty At Any Age segments with comments on aging brilliantly made by women of varying ages. Sal's posting yesterday was along the same lines. In Reader Request: Evolution, twelve women in their 20's to 50's share their style, their feelings around style and body image, and how they're evolving or changing as they age. Again, there were a couple comments about losing themselves in child raising or menopause and re-emerging. Those are encouraging. I could best relate to the women nearest my age. Woman to woman advice. So valuable.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - Knowing that once order and cleanliness are restored, the frazzled feelings will disappear and creative energy reappear. YES YES.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - If you play it safe in life, you've decided that you don't want to grow anymore. - Shirley Hufstedler, lawyer. That's the risk you take if you change; that people you've been involved with won't like the new you. But other people who do will come along. - Lisa Alther, novelist.

When we're dealing with something, it's nice to know we're not alone. Reading and hearing words from other women that click with how I'm feeling is both encouraging and supportive even though they have no idea that our lives touched.

It seems to be taking me forever to get my feet back on solid ground. Menopause mixed up with too many things coming at me from too many directions for too many years has made it difficult BUT... I see bits and pieces of the light. I'm in the process of re-emerging or perhaps I'm emerging. As I age, I'm both more patient and more honest and I'm even more intrigued than I've been before with individuality, learning, uniqueness, and eccentricity. ME - not a carbon copy.

My mind swirls with questions - What do I want to learn? How will I stretch my brain? What am I willing to do now - like exercise - that I don't want to do in order that I can have something later that I do want - like flexibility? Where am I being authentic? Where am I NOT being authentic? Am I hiding? Is change possible (or necessary) now? If not, when?

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I am in the midst of menopause and fight every day to hold onto myself and to love my evolving body...although right now I'm really missing my slim ankles ~ LOL!

    I sure wish there was a class on this but I'm glad that I have a wonderful mother who I'm modeling my journey after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am anxious to see your skirt. It is such a nice style.

    ReplyDelete