_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 16 March 2010

Two Mirrors And A Hammer

Last week's learning was more about fitting than about working with denim. I had no problem sewing it. Even multiple layers went through my machine - a Bernina 1020 - just fine using a regular needle and polyester thread. For the top stitching, I used Mettler Silk Finish, one of my favourite threads from textile work.

What I still don't know a lot about is stretch denim. After wearing the jeans for only a few hours yesterday morning, they needed to be taken in another 1/2" on each side for a total of 2". I expected them to bag but not quite that much. For the next pair, I'll baste the side seams and wear them around the house for a few hours before finishing them. Hopefully that helps. It'll be hard for me to sew it a size smaller as some books and articles advise. With enough "evidence", that'll be easier.




Carolyn of Diary of a Sewing Fanatic keeps Project Journals. That's not something I've ever done however, I can see how valuable they might be. I have been taking more and more extensive notes. Each time, I sew a pattern, I write down what I did and what to do next time and then tuck that sheet of paper inside the pattern envelope. From now on, I'll add a swatch of the fabric used and my thoughts on working with and wearing it - especially stretch fabrics. And because I might not remember which fabric went with which pattern, I'm going to start a swatch binder with wearing notes so that I know how to fit a similar fabric.




Fitting is a lot easier with a mirror. I've been using the one in the guest room clear at the other end of the hall, getting my exercise running back and forth, and that's okay only having one in the studio would be even better. I had a gift certificate from Christmas and bought this wall mirror on the weekend. It's 16" x 60" and leaning against the wall for now because I haven't decided exactly where I want it yet. A three way mirror would have been fabulous only I'm don't know where to buy one, am pretty sure they're quite expensive, and didn't really have room. Instead...




... I have this pretty mirror that my daughter bought me quite a few years ago. Originally it was for in the bathroom for make-up only now I need one of those super magnified mirrors to see anything. It'll be perfect in the studio for mirror to mirror viewing.

The hammer was only $3.99. Can you believe that? Pretty reasonable for a studio tool that will get used over and over for years. It's light - 8 oz - and about a foot long - a "tiny" hammer - just perfect for flattening seams and intersections on bulky fabrics like denim. My husband is happy to get his back - LOL.

There were lots of comments yesterday. THANK YOU so much for the input and congrats on my jeans. Just in case I gave the wrong impression, I am REALLY pleased with the way that they turned out. They were worth the work. I like them. I want more only with straight legs this time because, as KID MD wrote, how many wide leg trouser style jeans does a girl need. Exactly.

I thought I'd sew yesterday and then it ended up more of a puttering day. The studio had gotten so dusty that I wanted to stop and give it a thorough cleaning before carrying on with my next project. It's amazing how much dust is involved in sewing. I dusted the base boards and moved all the button and thread jars on the shelves and Swiffered around them and the yarn, the machines, behind the floor baskets, and under the desk and... and... and... As you know, cleaning is never done BUT... it's a lot fresher in here and ready for more projects. Now, for the rest of the house - LOL - hmm - later.

Debbie Cook wrote - Actually, they do. Or, more correctly, dart equivalents.

Of course. Duh. I wasn't thinking about darts rotated into the seam - just about the visible ones. Fashion design is really quite amazing with how they do what. Thanks for the reminder Debbie.

Karen W wrote - As to the food. Did you ever take home economy in school?

LOL - so long ago and far away. I had thought to work on conquering one meal at a time onlythat plan was not going well. On to plan B (or is it Z by now). On Sunday, I pulled out some of my new cookbooks and found so many possible recipes that I decided to focus on just two books for a while. The Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free Cookbook contains meat dishes and The Gluten Free Vegan (obviously) doesn't. I made a Zucchini and Spicy Seed Soup from the second one yesterday. YUMMY.

I told my daughter that I'm thinking of starting another blog about my food journey. Writing about it might help me focus. Think anyone would be interested in a 47 year old woman with extensive food allergies who is only just learning to cook? Surely I'm not alone.

Linda Turske wrote - Where are you going to take your seminar with SB? I have gone to about 4 of hers and love them! I learn so much from her!

Four! Lucky you. I attended a lecture Sandra gave years and Years and YEARS ago and I was so impressed with her creativity that I've been wanting to take a class with her ever since. This one is in Nanaimo, BC, Canada. I was there in October to take a bra making workshop so I'm already familiar with the layout and the B & B that I'm staying at. My friend from Yellowknife (Northern Canada) is coming as well. Should be great fun.

sdBev wrote - Besides you've inspired me to try another jeans pattern!
Louise in SW Saskatchewan wrote - AND a Palmer and Pletsch JEANS pattern. VBG - your influence I'm sure.

LOL - I'm thinking of this as a positive influence rather than passing on my addiction. LOVELY to have company. Good luck with your jeans.

I'm not sure what I plan to do today. I debated cleaning house - it certainly needs it - however now that the studio is so nice and clean, I may just sew. I'm in the middle of a book so curling up to read for a bit is definitely in the cards. Tonight, there's knitting. Apparently, I'm in a move leisurely mode. I think it's a reaction to having people in the house non stop right now. I'm used to my quiet routine. It'll be another week before that happens. What an old lady I am - LOL.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - relative safety

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word. Humans are satisfied with whatever looks good; God probes for what is good. Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place. God made everything with a place and a purpose; even the wicked are included - but for judgement. When God approves of your life, even your enemies will end up shaking your hand. Far better to be right and poor than wrong and rich. We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it. - Proverbs 16

The other day I asked a woman I know what she was working on in her studio. She said you asked me that last time we talked too and I need to remind you that I work. It felt as if I'd had my hands slapped. Since I doubt she intended it that way, I had to stop and think of what it was in me that was reacting so strongly to what she said.

I realized that I completely don't understand that way of being - where the thing that you love to do comes last. Chores and work will always be there and if we allow them to, they'll crowd into every minute of the day and extend into forever and ever amen. That's not what I want my life to be about. Even when I was eighteen, moving out on my own for the first time, my schedule was set up so that time in the studio always happened. That's how I refresh and de-stress. It's vital.

Along with that realization came the one that I feel uncomfortable not working as if I'm freeloading and not doing my part, taking up space but not contributing fully. I know this space is necessary and I know that something else is coming my way and I know it won't be here for a few years. While I wait, enjoying fully this moment that I'm in is so important. I need to keep reminding myself of that while praying for, and trusting that, God will send THE answer. I'm attempting not to make elaborate plans and rather to wait expectantly.

9 comments:

  1. Your blog is so inspiring to me. Thank you. You are right about the loves coming last - I am making more of an effort to spend time with friends, time in the studio and less time with the tv this year. It's hard. I'm very tired at the end of the day. But puttering in the studio (even when it's only cleaning up) is so cleansing. Thanks again for the reminder. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I used to plan my time in my studio for me first, and somewhere along the line I lost that. It is very hard to get back. I have it back now, and the passion I am following at the moment is not the sewing but it is getting me there.

    I love Sandra Betzina. You will have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds to me as if the other person has a lot of stress in her life right now and just doesn't, for whatever reason, have the ability to focus on things in her studio. I think that at different times in our lives we do need to focus on things other than sewing or whatever hobby we have. I certainly would not want to do that permanently, but for periods of time it seems that that is something we need to do.

    And, no, you are not the only person to have food allergies. I discovered some years ago that I have food allergies and it has certainly changed the way we live, eat, etc. I am now learning how to eat correctly and having to learn more about cooking. My DH does most of the cooking, but I am getting more involved so that I not only eat allergy-free food, but also healthy food. They are not always one and the same.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I am enjoying your posts. A couple of things I wanted to say are firstly that I am eating gluten free and dairy free as well. I would be very interested to read your story and journey with this. Secondly, regarding waiting for God to show you your next step: I had an occasion to find out the hard way that when I prayed for a direction to take but did not wait for the answer (but instead made and implemented my own plan), I was beating my head against a wall the entire time. I had taken what I thought was the best step but it was wrong for me and I was unhappy the entire time. Maybe I had to go through this though, as I did learn my lesson and more faith in the end. Good luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome thought and I'm with you...I don't understand why some people put the thing they love to do the most last. Don't they realize that when they are laying on their death bed that they won't be lamenting the fact that they should have cleaned more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wandered over from Carolyn's blog. It sounds like your friend is a bit stressed out (and a bit envious?). I gotta admit, I'm a bit stressed out lately also, and a bit envious reading about other's sewing progress. Then I remind myself that I'm sitting reading other people's blogs, not sewing, so it's my own doings.

    As far as mirrors, do you have bi-fold closet doors in your sewing room? I do - and currently have 2 small (12x48"?) cheap wall mirrors tied on them. Then when I need to check the fit, just open the doors to the right place. I've decided that I like the way it works, but the mirrors are too small, so I think I'm going to put in mirrored closet doors. Not as good as a 3-way mirror, but much better than trying to turn to see the back without twisting things out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clicked through from Carolyn's blog, too, and I'm so glad I did. About 2 years ago, I found myself trying to balance writing for the sewing blog vs. writing about issues of faith and life; I finally just started a second blog. You have a lovely solution to that dilemma and I'm going to enjoy both your 'sewing' and your 'growing' sections!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You have inspired me to reevaluate what I'm doing with my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds to me like her response was harsh because it's something that's been bothering her - her job/chores/life taking time away from her hobby.

    It also reminds me of something I heard a while back - that we are all carrying pain around in our lives - and because of that we need to go easy on each other.

    I hope your friend (and all of us, really), can find the balance and happiness we need in our lives. That's what I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete