_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 25 March 2010

Droopy And Dragged Down

Instead of sewing jeans yesterday, I tried on a few different pairs at Reitman's. What's with the vanity sizing? It's getting ridiculous. The sales clerk tried to convince me to go down two sizes to accommodate the stretch factor. Two sizes smaller is an unbelievable number. While I'm not huge, I'm not teeny tiny either.

Back in 1987, I bought a size seven, denim skirt for Mother's Day. I weighed 118 pounds and had just had my first child. The jeans I'm wearing right now are a (stretch) size seven. I sew a size sixteen pant pattern. I weigh significantly more than 118. So much so that vanity sizing is not flattering; it's annoying. Based on Reitman's sizing with the stretch jeans, if I were to lose another ten pounds, I'd be in their smallest size range. That makes absolutely no sense to me. There are lots of women much smaller than me. What are they wearing?

Sizing aside, shopping is always a gamble. Some seasons, there is so much selection and all of it seems to fit me. Other seasons, nothing at all fits. I'm somewhat envious of Mardel's recent shopping experience. It sounds like she walked in and walked out with a set of basics. That's so wonderful when it happens and it has - for me too - in the past - just not this year.

My plan at Reitman's was to buy a few pairs of pants to augment sewing only the boot-cut is too skinny legged - I look like a ball on a stick - and the straight-cut is absolutely not flattering. They cup my butt, stick out with my protruding calves, and wrinkle in-between. AND - even worse - a (stretch) size small enough around my hips horizontally is too small through the crotch length vertically. As the sizes get smaller, everything gets smaller. That doesn't work. The front isn't too bad but the back feels droopy and dragged down. I did buy one pair and wore them around the house for half an hour hopeful that they'd stretch out enough. Not. I'll return them. This season... skirts and t-shirts, I can buy; blouses and jeans, I can't.

On Monday, I tried on my only other pair of jeans besides these ones I'm wearing. I knew they were a bit big. By mid morning, I needed a belt except that pulled them up too much. They felt short in shoes. By evening, even the belt wasn't doing the trick. The crotch was sagging part way to my knees. SO... it's time to get to some serious sewing. My wardrobe situation has reached a drastic level. In two weeks, I'm leaving for the Sandra Betzina/Ron Collins workshop. I'll need at least five outfits to get me through.

Yesterday was my first day home alone after seventeen consecutive somebody in the house days. While it was wonderful to have the kids here, I am such a creature of habit and routine that I'm also thankful for the return to normal. I'd anticipated spending the day alone in the studio only I had an invitation to coffee and since I was mostly a zombie post cold and kids, it was far more interesting to chat with my friend than veg in my studio. I did that later.

After coffee and shopping, I curled up in the chair by the window and spent the afternoon either reading a book or project planning in my head - all afternoon - until I cooked dinner - and then... more of the same all evening which means that I have nothing to report except for today's ambitions. I plan to take in the side seam on the wide legged trouser jeans and to finish up the printed turquoise ones. While they're both quite distinctive, finishing them will give me something more to wear.




All is not lost. I haven't been completely uncreative in a hands on way. Tuesday night at knitting I finished up the fuchsia scarf. It's made from a yarn called Dream and knit with a 2 x 2 rib pattern. It's thick, very warm, and completely out of season. Green shoots are poking up through the garden and I'll need to get out there this weekend. It just took me that long to knit it - LOL - with all the sewing I've been doing. With the scarf finished, I've returned to the green sweater. There are two fronts left to knit. If - LOL - that takes just as long, it'll be perfect. We'll be cruising into fall instead of spring. Hopefully not.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - I'm thankful for silver linings. I'm frustrated with not being able to buy the style of jeans I want. It'd be so much easier. Thankfully, I have the ability to sew them. I'm frustrated with my changing size. I feel like I never get caught up and finish putting together a basic wardrobe. I'm thankful that sewing those garments keeps me busy and creative and is far less expensive than buying them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - These mistakes - relying too much on others, waiting for the perfect setup, overthinking structure, feeling obligated to finish what you've started, and working with the wrong materials - are deadly. Any one of them will undermine your best efforts. - page 128 of The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharpe

At different points, I have made all of these mistakes. They truly are deadly. I can be my own worst enemy. In particular, I need to stop overthinking and just do. Start and it will come together. Wait and it never will.

1 comment:

  1. Myrna, I've been on a 9month quest for fitting pants patterns. You've just started and are doing great. I tend to lock my knees when standing and get the same drag lines from the knees. I figure when I stand correctly and the pants look good and feel good, they are good. The rest of the time the body is in motion and the pants have to bend, shift, and wrinkle to follow. That's physics. Besides, at my worst, I look better than 99% of the people I meet.

    ReplyDelete