_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Pattern Overload

Thanks for the congratulations and well wishes yesterday. I appreciate them. Jessica and I had a great time together. We didn't get to have Indian food. The restaurant was closed which was quite disappointing. We went somewhere else and will try again next time. Along with lunch, we did some shopping including at the paint store to chose colors for her home. I'll be going at the end of June to paint it.

I got a giggle when we looked through my color tool and she pulled out a pink, a green, and a blue. Hmm... guess whose mother has those same three personal neutrals. Her pink is more violet and her green more olive but that blue - navy just like mine. Too fun. It's such a delight to watch your children grow up and emerge and come into themselves and it's fun to see bits and pieces of yourself. After all, raising children is a LOT of wonder and work. She leaves this afternoon. I'll miss her.

Even though I was sniffy, drippy, miserable over the weekend, I dragged myself to the Fabricland Birthday Bash. If they'd extended the sale, I wouldn't have endangered their health however, as the sale couldn't wait for my cold, I went anyway and avoided breathing on people as much as possible.




I picked up three pieces of denim and four knits. That's three pairs of jeans, at least one skirt, and four or more t-shirts. Everything was 50% off which is a good deal BUT ONLY if I actually sew them. As stash, they're lovely to look . What I need are actual clothes to wear. I've been thinking about that a lot lately because...




... I also picked up these patterns even though I just got a shipment from the BMV club. I have a LOT of patterns. Some of you are to blame. I read your blog. You sew an amazing outfit. I love it. I want it. I buy the pattern. It's good and it's not good because...




... as you might remember, I've been totalling my studio expenditures each month and really - truly - this is getting a bit ridiculous. For the amount I've spent, I should have an amazing wardrobe. Instead, I have an amazing stash of fabrics and patterns. Not that I haven't been doing some sewing. I have. Just not enough.

With the patterns especially, my stash significantly exceeds my ability to sew them up. It's impossible. It's all too much. I'm on pattern overload. At moments like this, I can grasp so completely the financial and creative value of a T & T. One of my friends says that all you need are a few good patterns and from there, you can do anything. I see what she means. Hmm...

So... yet... still... again... a moratorium on spending about sewing and a focus on actual sewing. Until the 8th when I leave for the Sandra Betzina/Ron Collins workshop, unless it's on the supply list or absolutely essential to finishing a project, it's on the no buy list. At the workshop, I'll do some careful thinking through before purchasing because when I get to pattern and stash overload, guilt is not far behind and I'm not willing to go there. Sewing is about fun, fashion, fit, and flatter and NOT guilt. Breath in - breath out - I can do this. I'll just not go to Fabricland she says... like an addict on withdrawal.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - Excel accountability

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow. - Alice Walker, author - Take control of your destiny. Believe in yourself. Ignore those who try to discourage you. Avoid negative sources, people, places, things and habits. Don't give up and don't give in. - Wanda Carter, writer.

I can chose to make the most of my life... or not. A choice ignored or procrastinated is still a choice made. I want to chose proactively and live with energy and enthusiasm, brilliance and creativity. Such hard work. So worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Myrna, sometimes I think I spend more money than time on my sewing! If I could only use the money to buy myself some more time!

    Anyway, I look forward to seeing all that you will sew now that you are determined not to shop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the exact thing right now, buy more than I make. However I just know that when I do have the time I will have pretty much "everything" I need in my collection :)

    I'm anxious to hear about your Sandra Betzina / Ron Collins workshop. I have been buying their DVD's watching them on their Power Sewing Web TV shows and just love their personalities. I'm sure you will have a great time.

    You bought some very pretty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through a period where I spent more on sewing stuff than I sewed. I realize it was frustration shopping in my case, and I am not engaging in it now. After a bit of a regrouping and a rest, the ideas are really starting to flow again.

    I think you have a good plan.

    ReplyDelete