_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 15 March 2010

Wrinkle Free: A Fantasy

Fuchsia is one of my favourite colors. I - love - love - love - these shoes. They're comfortable, easy to walk in, and looked great with my new jeans only they're a bit too high for shopping. On Saturday, I found some lower ones in a similar color, this time with pointed toes.




Here's a butt end detail my finished jeans. I'm pretty pleased with the fit. Actually, I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY pleased but trying not to brag too much - LOL. There's still room for improvement. As you can see, completely wrinkle free was a fantasy. Good thing we actually move in our clothes.




I found it interesting that the fit changed when I used a belt. That's something to pay attention to since a belt helps to cinch the garment in to your true waist. They're more wrinkle free when belt-less.

If you have feedback on these particular wrinkles, please comment. I'd love to know what you think. Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if a longer hip depth at the side seam and/or an even lower crotch curve might be the answer. I'm waiting to see because these are made from stretch denim so things will change as I wear them. A couple hours can make a big difference. This picture was taken after about two minutes of wearing - before sitting down.

Remember the huge waist - I took it in with darts? Most jeans don't have darts. Why not? They add a lot of shape and with the pockets, you can't even see them. Worked for me.




Above is the back taken standing straight and below is the back with a bit of movement. All in all - pretty good.




Here's the front. After these images were taken, I took up the hem another inch. With it this long, it looked like I was attached to the ground, even with heels.




By aligning center front and center back - while keeping the grainlines parallel to each other - I was able to transfer the inseam and crotch information from the McCalls 5592 jeans above to the KwikSew 3625 pattern.




Below is the pattern envelope in case you forgot what they look like. I really like the yoke across the top instead of a waistband. With this pair, I'll narrow the legs so they are straight as opposed to flared. Not in advance. Once everything else is sewn, I can pin and contemplate, pin and contemplate, before cutting off the excess. AND then... with my third pair, I'll know how much to cut off and can adjust both patterns. YES YES!



This fabric is a printed, light weight denim. I really like the turquoise and blue. I'm not too sure about the gold however that darkest color is more burgundy. It has a LOT more stretch. I'm not entirely sure how it'll go. For that reason, I cut the crotch curve slightly higher again. As I said before, I can take it out but I can't put it back once it's cut off. Better safe than sorry.




Before I leave on the 8th - to take a three day workshop with Sandra Betzina and Ron Collins - I want to sew a blouse muslin and another jean muslin. The blouse will most likely be McCall's 6035 and the jeans Sandra's Vogue 1034. That's why I'm making a second pair of jeans right away and possibly a third - to know if transferring the crotch and inseam information makes the click. I hope so. If true, every pair of pants from here on in will benefit.

Talk tomorrow - Myrna

Grateful - the ability and the freedom to make choices

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - I've finished reading The Cure by Dr. Thomas Brantley. As is true with any book, I don't agree with - or at least am not willing to follow - everything he says. From the arguments and examples he put forward, I do agree that hydration, detoxification, elimination, and quality food are important.

Dr. Brantley supports eating predominately raw foods. My take on that is that a hundred years ago people did not eat mostly raw food and yet they were healthy because they did eat nutritious, unaltered, pesticide free, foods. Switching to mostly raw foods would be quite difficult for me personally and for our family. As with many things, it's about balance.

Yummy tasting food and the socialization around food are important to me. I already have allergies that make eating and eating out difficult. I don't want to add any more ways of being that will ostracize me. Drinking more water, eating better quality foods, eating some raw foods (salads, veggies, fruit, etc), and utilizing healthier cooking methods along with digestive enzymes to make sure I am processing and eliminating food are all things that I can do. That's a good place to start.

When the desire to cook finally kicks in - she says with great hope - this path should be doable. There is wonderfully tasting, healthy food out there if you (I) take the time to learn about and how to make it. I'm slowly getting there, not from a desire to cook but from a desire to NOT eat what packages and restaurants are offering.

We went out for dinner on Saturday and even though the herb chicken was technically on my list, I wondered if it was genetically altered chicken. That awareness is making a lot of options unpalatable which could be the click that gets me into cooking. We hope. It's time to pull out all those cookbooks I've bought in the last year and find some recipes. I know that a HUGE part of the answer will be meal planning. I just wish I felt like it - VBG. I'd rather sew.

10 comments:

  1. Your fit is amazing!! I love my 5592s. I'm wearing them right now, although I think yours fit you a smidge better than mine fit me. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna

    I think you can sew pants, steam them carefully and put them on without wrinkles. As soon as you start to move, there will be wrinkles. The body moves and fluxes, clothing wrinkles trying to follow. No matter how nicely clothing starts in the morning, in the evening it will have some wrinkles. So don't beat yourself up. Wrinkle free is a goal. It's not mandatory and actually not possible 24/7. Besides you've inspired me to try another jeans pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are dead on with those jeans. If I were you, I'd call it done. I am wearing a Sandra Betzina jean today. I think I can go down a size now after the additional weight loss. I used the wrong pattern I had for these.. the one I really like makes them a little lower riser than straight out of the envelope but I pulled the wrong one out( have two and shoudl throw the old one away!) It's all good. I will wear these. They are just a little higher than I want. I need hubby to take some photos so I can post them. Anyway, I digress. Yours are great looking and I think you have succeeded! Where are you going to take your seminar with SB? I have gone to about 4 of hers and love them! I learn so much from her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your jeans. They look great on you and you look great in them.

    As to the food. Did you ever take home economy in school? They start with a simple breakfast and work through a simple lunch and then dinner/supper. Each step builds on it. Don't expect to create a gormet meal until you have the skills. There are some wonderful cooking videos on U-Tube that might inspire you.

    Have a great day, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Myrna! I would be completely satisfied with these jeans, but as a comment on the wrinkles: it looks to me like your back extensions might be a SMIDGE too long, and your front extensions a SMIDGE too short - causing excess fabric (a little) on the back thigh and a little too little fabric on the front body. But as I say I don't think I would alter for this. When you baste your next pair you can check if you want.

    The only thing I would advise is to still be careful when sewing the next pair as in my experience I have needed to take in as much as 5/8" for a very stretch fabric or let out up to 1/2" for a fabric with particularly little give. I've not yet completely understood this but I now leave 1" vertical seam allowances anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look great, but since you asked:

    "Most jeans don't have darts. Why not?"

    Actually, they do. Or, more correctly, dart equivalents. The back yoke on jeans is shaped by closing the darts so you end up with a solid piece of fabric with no sewn darts. Front waist darts are removed at the sideseam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Myrna...great behind fit. They look fantastic. As far as wrinkles go, I agree with sdBev. I have worn RTW jeans from Lands End that I thought were wonderful and fit well, and I am sure I could have found a wrinkle or two? Your jeans look very well fit to me? I am commenting as an objective observer, not as a jeans sewist. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've achieved a great fit. It was worth all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday I was in Fabricland on the way out of Saskatoon and found some rayon challis for 70% off (it's one of my favourite fabrics). So I had to go look at patterns so I'd know how much to buy. They had McCall's patterns on sale so I ended up coming home with a tunic y type pattern AND a Palmer and Pletch JEANS pattern. VBG - your influence I'm sure.

    I bought 5m of denim at Fabricland in late 2008 with my 50% off coupon from them (5m was limit). So now I will start trying to create a pr of good fitting jeans for me. Thanks for blogging about your sewing trials, tribulations and SUCCESSES. It's getting me headed back to making my own well fitted clothing and showing me that it's certainly worth the effort to do the pattern alterations to create clothing that is YOURS(mine)!

    Thanks again Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the jeans, Myrna. They look good on you!

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete