_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 7 September 2012

Great Twirlability

We've lived at the condo for almost five months - one whole season - and I still haven't figured out where to take pictures. Right now the entrance way with indirect light from an open door is winning but the pictures have a halo quality to them. Not that I don't want my work to look sainted - VBG - but less glow would make it easier to see the details. I will eventually figure this out.




Here is the front of the little girl coat finished with five snaps under seven buttons. Although there are things I'd do differently next time, there always are, and this is pretty cute for now.


I wasn't so thrilled with the back. I'd intended the black line to act as a waist element and to merge the overlapping portion at the top with the mosaic portion at the bottom. It didn't do that. Instead, the black looked saggy and the top blotchy. I added....



 ... a piece of organza ribbon below the black and ditch stitched it into place and then sewed buttons above. They bring the eye up, give it something to focus on, and merge the top and bottom sections in a much better way. They're similar but different buttons from the front which doesn't matter and even if, no one is going to notice, especially the little girl wearing it because the coat has great twirlability and little girls love to twirl.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the property management "guy" is coming this morning to look more closely at the issue with the front yard. Only two and a half weeks. Apparently learning patience is part of condo living... not that I'd ever be brave (stupid) enough to pray for patience.

4 comments:

  1. What a chic little coat - I love it! Great use of buttons on the back. And I love the picot edging on the collar and hem. Part of the original garment, yes? The coat is a brilliant concept brought to fruition. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this jacket looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking coat for a girl. I like how you fixed the back to merge the top and the bottom parts together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is fabulous. I need this in the big girl size.

    ReplyDelete