_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 27 July 2018

Black Chairs Pretty Cushions

This summer seems to be a combination of more visitors than I've ever had - all welcome though - and endless yard work... which wasn't what I intended to do... but has been a domino effect. In order to do what I did want to do, parts X, Y, and Z had to be done first which may mean that what I really wanted to do - convert our garden shed to a backyard studio - will most likely be next year's project.

With all the bending, twisting, lifting, pulling, digging, placing and so on, I'm exhausted and sore all over. The sore part is really bugging me. After three months of working hard, I feel my body should have adjusted and my doctor says no, it's my age. At fifty-six, I am so not willing to accept that and I'll be doing some research when I get a minute. Any ideas?




I've decided to only show finished projects on this new blog so while these chairs were started months ago, today is the day that I finally finished the last element. I bought the frames at the thrift store for $5 and then spray painted them black - an immediate improvement.




The bottom cushions are filled with outdoor foam that is mold and mildew resistance and the fabric is outdoor fabric bought on sale. The long narrow cushion is filled with an inexpensive bedroom pillow still wrapped in plastic. It firmly in place and the plastic doesn't crinkle. The 20" square pillows were finished today. While I'd sewn the covers earlier, I was waiting for an end of season sale on outdoor cushions to use as the filler and since they were going to be recovered, they could be ugly and still work. I found those this morning.

The chairs are sitting on the deck that I've been building on the upper level of my backyard and face out to the pond. I had hoped to finish the deck last night only the drill mysteriously stopped working only to equally mysteriously start working this morning. Strange. Perhaps I needed a rest.




The piece above left is by Indigo And Oscar and the one above right is by Jamie Spinella. Both are a wonderful mix of elements, unique shapes, and texture and quite inspirational. I'm glad that different parts of the yard are beginning to complete because although I'm enjoying the on-line inspiration, I am more than ready to start the design process with my own pieces.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finished chairs, an almost finished deck

6 comments:

  1. Good morning! Have you ever had your vitamin D levels checked? Low levels can cause a lot of joint pain too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'll check into that.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. I'll check into that.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about being sore. I have been working on it through strength training, stretching, and rolling out using a foam roller and tennis ball. The tennis ball worked well at alleviating some hip stiffness that I thought might just be inevitably age-related, so you might give rolling out a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of this before. I'll look into it some more. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. I've heard of this before. I'll look into it some more. Thank you.

      Delete