_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 6 July 2018

Week 52-6 - The Easement Edge

Behind my house and around the pond that I showed in Wednesday's posting are walking and biking trails. They weave all the way through the city and are maintained by the trail alliance. Between my house and the neighbour's house is an easement for accessing the trails.




The easement slopes downward. Over the last few weeks I've replaced the dilapidated and rotten panel fence with new posts and panels that are actually deck railing with cedar top and bottom rails and metal pickets. I love the way it transparently defines the yard and maintains the view. This is the view looking down the hill and...




... this is the view looking up the hill. Apparently a previous owner literally brought in six or seven dump truck loads of river rock. They are everywhere and have often had to be moved several times before finding a permanent home. I'm VERY good at rock picking and have discovered multiple uses for rocks including retaining walls which I'll show you later on when they are complete. The easement edge is the first completed section. I am almost...




... finished our side of the fence. I've been using pebbles and larger rocks to create texture and variety and am just tucking the black edging against the grass. It's not my favourite edge but it's relatively inexpensive, works, and I already own it. The whole yard has been an exercise in using what I have in "stash" and my landscaping skills have grown tremendously. I see the yard design as line and texture just as I see the blank surface of a t-shirt or of a painter's canvas. It's all about filling the canvas in a way that works.

Yesterday, a woman was running by and then stopped to discuss the yard. Apparently, she used to live nearby and is thrilled with the transformation. When I told her that I was more of an artist than a landscaper, she said I was doing and very good impression of one; that I was fooling "us" all. I'm enjoying the creative aspects of the work and the exercise since I'd rather do this than go to a gym and I am also looking forward to maintaining as opposed to developing the yard although - VBG - I think that's another couple years down the line.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - "free" rocks in different sizes to create texture

No comments:

Post a Comment