_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 24 January 2020

Creative Metal Arts

Two things I wanted to focus on this year were learning opportunities and socializing opportunities in my community - ideally with a combination of both which is why...




... I used these images on my yearly collage and signed up for a Creative Metal Arts workshop at the local college. It's three hours, every Tuesday night, for eleven weeks and there are seven women and two men in the class with a wide range of goals. I'm really enjoying it so far.

 



One of my goals is to look at ways to combine the textile elements I'm already making with metal working ones. This piece beautifully illustrates what I'm working toward. Instead of that gorgeous agate, insert fabric. Unfortunately the artist wasn't listed on the Pinterest page where I found the image.




This is a scrap I was playing with to see what paint would do to the fabric surface. It's not a masterpiece; it's a practice piece. Practice (sampling) is vital to our creative growth. I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to be amazing right away rather than playing with ideas to see what's possible and to allow our skills to develop and mature. It's ugly; it has potential.




I am exceptionally good at overthinking which is why this image is on my yearly collage - a reminder to learn to do by doing rather than stagnating by overthinking. It's also a reminder that one step leads to another and I can't go anywhere unless I take that first step... which is how the idea of creating textile jewelry has now led to learning creative metal arts.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - an interesting and local workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment