_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 6 March 2020

Shifting The Studio

Although my studios have ranged significantly in size, I have - thankfully - always had a space to leave my work out ready for whatever long or short bursts of time might be available. In this home, it takes up a a large portion of the downstairs, about 500 sq ft.




Making jewelry is a relatively new adventure that takes a considerable amount of storage for all the parts and pieces plus several dedicated working surfaces. I've started to figure out how to work comfortably and this week, bought the workbench with the wooden top for the forging station. It was the last piece of furniture I needed and meant shifting the studio to make it all fit together. Luckily, it is exactly the same height as the white table I already had and created an L shaped work bench with the heat station to the left and storage beneath.




This old student's desk with the purple chair is where I put the jewelry pieces together. Normally, I don't like to work facing a wall but being so close to the patio door makes it feel more open. I like the storage below for wire and infrequent supplies and there will be shelves above for parts the endless list of supplies like clasps and jump rings, beads and chain, found objects, old jewelry to be refashioned, and.so on. You may notice that I have a fondness for glass jars and frequently use them for storage that is both contained and visible.




I love having a curl-up chair for sitting and pondering, drinking coffee, reading, knitting, hand sewing or just watching the world go by. If you have space for a chair, it's a lovely addition.




These book shelves have moved around and around with me. I've probably had them for over thirty years and while they are starting to show their age, they still work perfectly. In every studio I have not allowed stash to exceed space so I determine how much of each item I can have by designating x amount of space.As you can see, there's room for more books and that's true of most areas. I really like it that way. I believe some openness creates flow and brings energy to the studio leaving room for potential. The green dresser was in my bedroom at one point. Right now, two drawers hold patterns and two hold yarn.


 


I require a lot of personal space. It really bothers me when people stand or sit too close and apparently that extends to having enough, and dedicated, work surfaces. Without them, I have trouble doing more than one task in the studio and my work is more stilted. The island is a sewing surface, primarily for cutting out patterns and pressing although I will clear it to paint when adding surface design to project fabrics. Its shelves, drawers, and cupboards contain sewing supplies and the white cabinets behind hold my fabric stash.

This studio functions very well. It's not pretty but definitely prettier than when I bought the house. It was such a mix-up of choices that I painted everything white when I moved in so - hopefully - no one will notice that there is some crown molding and some not, some dropped ceiling and some not, some baseboards and some not, some vertical paneling, some horizontal paneling, some drywall, a cement floor, and a missing door. Ugly little duckling that it is, I have plans to make it a swan at some point but for now, it's mine and I'm so grateful to have it.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - work space for both heating and forging

No comments:

Post a Comment