_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 1 May 2020

One Man's Art

After abandoning the blouse, I decided to move on to sewing a sweater. Although I knit, it seems that I prefer to wear purchased sweaters over hand-crafted ones. I'm not really sure why and that's okay only...




... I have a lot of sweater fabric as well and decided to see how I felt about sewn sweaters. In checking in my pattern collection, I discovered I have absolutely no sweater patterns... anymore... which surely means that in the last pattern purge I accidentally put the sweater category in the thrift box and not back in the drawer. Sigh.... I drafted this one using a T & T pattern - Vogue 9057 - and chose the fabric I was least likely to wear the most as a - hopefully - wearable muslin.




Before the pandemic, I would park downtown and then walk twenty minutes to Starbucks to journal before walking walk back. It built exercise into my routine. Now that they are closed, I often drive to this park with its fifteen minute circular path.




I aim to walk around between three and five times depending on the morning. Every day it's a little bit different with the weather, the time of day, and the activity on the lake.




This whole area was developed years ago by my friend's husband and I can only imagine how much he enjoys seeing how it has matured over the years. One man's art.




After I posted on Tuesday, I realized that I hadn't shown the finished path pendant from the week before. I practiced rivet setting to attach the copper disks to the back plate. They look more flush in real life than they do in these pictures and are smooth to the touch. I'm starting to get the hang of them.




I strung the chain with beading wire using a combination of the word beads, a filigree copper bead, and a black disk. The crimp tubes are still a struggle only I learned through this process - via the instructor of the workshop that I'm taking - that I ordered by the wrong measurement. I needed to order by the inside diameter and not the length so once I get those smaller tubes, it'll be much easier.




I am making progress with hammering and shaping the closure and am quite pleased with how this one turned out. I am especially pleased that both the back plate, the copper disks, and the closure were made from scrap metal... which only goes to show the potential of our garbage. YES YES.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a beautiful lake walk

No comments:

Post a Comment