_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 26 May 2020

Patience & Persistence

Last week was spent in the yard moving dirt, digging holes, mixing cement, setting posts, and getting the underground irrigation in place. Luckily, I had help to make a heavy work load lighter. Today, it is supposed to be sunny and the plan is to...




... continue working on the retaining walls and deck just outside my studio. I took this photo yesterday in the rain. The four posts you see to the left will support the stairs going up to the next level. In front of it and on the opposite side, will be a wooden retaining wall. Once they are in place, I can finish framing the deck and add the boards which should be delivered today. Decking is the easy part so I'm looking forward to getting to that stage. My goal is to be completely done the walls and the deck in the next week.
I mentioned in my last post that I am decorating the deck as my birthday gift and as a place to retreat since I can't go away for my usual workshop holiday this year. In the bit of studio time I did have last week, I put the swing together and started on the cushions by...




... purchasing two outdoor cushions from a local department store because it's cheaper to buy the ready-made cushion and recover it than it is to buy the foam ONLY... I immediately cut a hole in the fabric while removing the label and had to zigzag it back together. And then...






... the strip of fabric I'd cut for the covers - thinking it'd be plenty - was not nearly enough and since I'd already cut up the rest of the yardage I had to piece them instead of using one strip of fabric each. I must have been tired because it's obvious that a 17" by 60" strip of fabric is not going to go around two pillows that require at least a 17" x 32" piece each plus seam allowances. And then, when I finished them, the covers were a bit too loose and had to be taken in slightly on each edge. I basically sewed them both twice BUT...


 



... they look great now and go with the other fabrics perfectly. I'm knitting a throw for the swing from a grey cotton/nylon blend yarn that I received as a Christmas gift in 2018. It's always a delight when something new goes into stash and then equally delightful when it comes out and is made into something. YES YES!


 


I had cut out the foam and prepped the fabric for the swing cushion earlier and simply needed to sew it together... which should have been easy... only, when pressing under the zipper opening, I melted the fabric and had to make a dart to hide the hole and then, when I finished the cushion, it was far too short for the foam. The foam was the correct; my math was not. Luckily, I had a large piece of the fabric left because I'd originally intended to cover a back cushion as well so I was able to wrap it around the foam and work directly from that, no measuring, no math, just fitting. It's done and looks great so all that patience and persistence paid off.




In the hall way outside my studio, there is a growing collection of things for the porch. The window was taken out of the shed and I plan to add legs and grunge it up a bit more to make a coffee table. The rug was bought last year for the dining room only it didn't go with the area rug in the living room however, since it's made out of the correct fabric, it can go outside. The turquoise and the black & white cushions were bought to use as is, no need to recover them. The quilted runner for the back of the porch swing was shown in the last posting. The spray paint is for repainting two wicker chairs and the planter is actually for a plant however...




... it was originally intended to make a tall table by putting a circular element on top. I couldn't find a form big enough so my plans have changed. This circle is 21" in diameter and 24" would be the minimum so instead, the planter stays a planter and I'll create some kind of resin-concrete-found object surface for the table top and then decide what kind of legs to put on it. I also have some birthday money to spend and will decide on another decor item once these things are in place - something that costs more than I would normally spend on myself because that's what birthdays are for IMHO - celebration and pretty not practical although both is good.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a fun collection for the deck and progress getting it ready

No comments:

Post a Comment