_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 21 December 2011

The Precious Piece

Today is my daughter's twenty-fifth birthday. It's occasions like this that make me wish I had more money. I'd hop on a plane and surprise her at the office for lunch - a thought that just struck me as terribly funny when I wrote it because I am absolutely awful at taking a surprise. It's not a good idea. I get cranky. So cranky I come with a warning. BUT... she's a better woman and I imagine she'd have taken it wonderfully. If I could hop a plane. And I can't. Perhaps the thought counts in some way. Have a fabulous day Jessica. I'm incredibly proud of you and LOVE YOU LOTS.

- - - - - - - - - - -

K.Line wrote - What happened to only making children's stuff ?? :-) That purple is lovely! I'm making a shawl right now (posted on my Ravelry page) that is totally appealing. I hope it works out well. These things sure do take forever. Somehow they make sweaters seem fast.

The short answer would be that I am absolutely consistent about changing my mind. The longer one would be that after this year's dismal success, clean and easy would make for a better knitting year in 2012 and I'm all for that. The subconscious and digging deeper answer would be that with all the new things to learn with polymer clay, it seemed a good idea to back off on pushing ahead with knitting and allow it to be a creative space in which to think and ponder. For the most part, knitting is soothing. Perhaps it's one of the reasons I love the rhythm of ribbing. That said, I've got a LOT of yarn in small sweater sized lengths and plan to try some interesting scarf variations and - LOL - give them as gifts next Christmas. How's that for planning ahead!




Yesterday morning I went for coffee with the two women I met at Starbucks a few weeks ago. We talked about art and life for over two hours. It was good. One of the women had a stash of yarn she'd inherited and wanted to pass on. I agreed to take it only if I could keep what I wanted and pass the rest to my knitting group - which I did last night - and they loved. Most of the stash was in autumn colors which aren't typically colors I'd choose. The three skeins above will work for couching onto textile art pieces although the rust and the brown are strong enough to work into jewelry pieces as well. They're an acrylic chenille.




These balls are pure wool. The color is slightly more grey than I would have chosen however, I've been wanting to learn how to felt and dye wool so it's the perfect opportunity especially as...




... they were produced in 1979 to celebrate Dale of Norway's 100th anniversary. After twenty-two years in stash, it seems like someone should actually use them. Since I didn't know the previous owner, I don't know if these became precious and therefore unknittable but I think there's a real danger in that - with our yarn - with our fabric - with the "good" dishes. When items are packed away, too precious to use, they become in essence useless and that is - in my opinion - a sad fate for a luscious item.

One goal for 2012 is to de-precious even more of my stash. Using what I have and therefore using the precious piece is something that I've gotten better and better at over the years however, there are still a few pieces I'd like to - finally - cut up and create with. That's what I bought them for, not to decorate the shelves. What about you?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - Jessica

3 comments:

  1. I'm cutting and using up my stash at a glorious rate around here. I've sent some of it to the thrift store, and that feels good, too. It's so good to be sewing again!

    Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have the same policy about being consistently inconsistent. Shake it up, I say! :-) And happy birthday to Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hear you on the too special dishes, fabric etc. I try to use most things I have, if I don't it's not a too special - it's a hand wash issue. Crystal wine glasses mean too much work for a party. I'm trying to keep the same attitude for my stash, but sometimes it really is a matter of finding the right pattern for the fabric. If I can't visualize it and be excited, it's not going to work.

    ReplyDelete