_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 30 December 2011

Learn And Re-Learn

The holidays are almost over. We have a few more plans for today and tomorrow and then life will return to normal. I love the start of the new year, so full of possibility and promise. Being as goal oriented as I am - naturally - I have goals for next year only I'll save those for another posting and use this one to share some of the things that I learned, or re-learned, in 2011.




Although you've seen it a few times recently, other than black t-shirts, my most worn garment of 2011 has been the Vogue 8499 skirt. It's fun to wear, unique in shape, comfortable, and garners constant compliments especially when combined with the right accessories. Fun, unique, and comfortable are key words for the clothes that I enjoy. A realization this year is that I over-fit my garments and would do better if I choose shapes that appeared fitted and allowed me room to breath and fluctuate like this skirt. Flattering - but not old lady - elastic waists are part of that scenario.




Even though I absolutely love color, I wear a lot of black and, if not black, other medium to dark colors like navy and denim. When I sew something more colorful, the garment is likely to go with black like the earlier skirt or these Burda 7400 pants, both of which I wear at least once a week. The denim version of the skirt that was sewn recently has already gotten a good wear-out. I used to think that it was my years of working from home in jeans and a black t-shirt that created my color preferences only now, after several years back fashion sewing with the plenty of potential for change and little progress, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer dark clothing, simple lines, and quirky details and that's good because...





... one of the best decisions I've made this year is a recent one - to pick a path, (jewelry design) walk in that direction, and let God enable. The jewelry I love is typically big and gaudy and looks great against black clothing like the favourite piece above bought in May.




Wearing my own jewelry and seeing how people react to it is going to be my marketing program. It's a win-win plan. I may need to sew new garments to go with each piece or at least that can be my excuse and what fun that would be.

I still haven't opened a package of clay and that's okay. I will as soon as the holidays are over and there is time to play. It will take time and experimenting, failure and success, to learn about polymer clay and even so this feels like exactly the right choice at exactly the right time. This is the first time ever that I will intensely study a new medium since choosing fabric. That's hugely energizing. How absolutely positive I feel having made this decision is hard to explain but it reminds me of how important it is to me to always be learning and growing and to have a sense of purpose and direction. My two and a half years of wandering around lost were quite difficult. I don't know where I'm going with this business but I know it's forward and that's good and enough.

For all of you who thought the pasta maker was for cooking, I should have re-mentioned that I'd asked for it to condition clay. LOL - my family knows better than to buy me a kitchen appliance for Christmas.




Blouses and I do not get along. I've sewn five this past year and they hang in the closet unworn even though I have - for the most part - conquered the sizing and fit. It's possible that I'll like a blouse sewn from a knit fabric and I may try that but otherwise...




... I'll stick with knit tops - of which I need more - especially in a quality black knit - and with some interesting lines - like Marcy Tilton's Vogue 8582 pattern.

Once again this year I have concluded that my preference is for clean lines, an interesting mix of fabrics, and gourmet details. In June 2012, I'll be studying with Marcy Tilton in Oregon and will have a chance to learn from someone who has an amazing ability to mix texture and design. I'm really looking forward to the workshop. This past February, I took a workshop with Ron Collins otherwise 2011 was devoid of workshops, something I really missed. Books and blogs are fabulous and even so  I need to get out of the studio, mix with other women who love what I love, and stretch my abilities.

One take away from my time at Fabricland was how small of a world some women have created for themselves. While I worked there, the store moved from one section of town to another. The distance was the same for me - thirteen minutes - but for some people it extended their drive to about twenty minutes. There was not one but many women who came into the store and said something along the lines of they would only be coming once a year now that we'd moved because it was too far to go and yet when I asked them where they lived, it was simply across town. Many needed their husband to drive them that far.

This is not a big town. It doesn't take more than twenty-five minutes in "heavy" traffic to get anywhere. That some women have not left their neighbourhood, or do not travel a twenty minute drive more than once a year, or have not been in the Fabricland area of town in over twenty years, or need someone else to drive them, astounded me. I'm so grateful that I am able to drive hours, out of town, to another province, even to another country and state, by myself, without a friend or a husband. I think it's vitally important to being all that I can be and I plan to keep right on practicing. I do not want to live in a small world.

Another take away is that I like being in business for myself rather than working for someone else. To that end, it's important to reach but not too far and to aim but not too high nor too low, and to walk forward in small but stretching steps with expectation. I'm glad that I stopped attempting to wait patiently and have started waiting in expectation with the business and with moving. We've packed even more boxes and have taken down the cupboards from my studio and Howard's office. They're ready to move. They're ready for a new studio and new adventures and so am I.

That's some of what I learned this year. How about you? What did you learn that really resonated? How will that discovery change 2012 for you?

HAPPY NEW YEAR - talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- to end the year on a positive note

3 comments:

  1. Following your journey for the last year or so, I understand your year end conclusions. Learning about oneself is always a journey and how that translates into what your are, what you do for a living or how you choose to proceed is frequently a test. A test of strength and a test of your innate personality. I am sure that your talents will translate well into jewelry design. Best of luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been interesting and enlightening following your journey since you started blogging. A lot of what you write provided insight and food for thought as I reflect on my own journey. I learned that there are more important things than work, peace and contentment are more important.

    I find making jewelry to be very relaxing. I did try selling jewelry but that is not my thing. I enjoy wearing what I make but I'm not committed enough to make things to sell. Looking forward to seeing where working with clay takes you in the new year.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2012, Myrna!

    I enjoy your blog because you make me think. I hope you'll still blog about your jewelry making and fabric adventures even though I think you started your blog to journal about your sewing.

    I'm unable to go to the Marcy Tilton retreat, so I'll live vicariously through you - please do share your experience. I see it's full with a waiting list now anyway.

    You asked what we've learned this year... I've learned to accept my health limitations and to slow down. Not easy to do, but necessary.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete