_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 1 December 2011

Nitter Nattering

My friend with the hot pink phone... it's a boy! On the same day that this young family was welcoming their first child, we were helping our last to move out. The final item packed into the truck was the 36" wide x 48" high solid birch dresser that we'd bought for the nursery - bought to last - all the way back out the door again. Life is full of contrasts. The word childless has taken on a new perspective. I cried and laughed a little yesterday. It was happy sad. While he may move back in, it will never be in the same capacity. Life has shifted.




After my acupuncture appointment, I spent some time wandering around downtown indulging myself with more retail therapy. I ordered a pine centerpiece for the table that I'll pick up this morning. I ate lunch at one of my favourite restaurants and had the chocolate pear cake - allergies be damned. I examined the clothes at several of the high end boutiques and found a beautiful skirt to copy and I bought some bling to go with my Christmas party dress that ought to distract from my cleavage although Howard says it won't work for him - LOL. This shopping will have to end. It's not typical me and my budget can't sustain it but ever so briefly it's been a helpful distraction.





While I was downtown, I made an appointment for next week to talk to Tony - the salon owner - about what he feels I would need to know, learn, upgrade, or be aware of to return to work as a hair stylist. I'm looking forward to that discussion as he's quite knowledgeable and very talented. Unfortunately, he's also closing his salon at the end of December to go into semi-retirement which means whatever plan I come up with won't involve working for him. I would have liked to have done that.

In the afternoon, I got my hair cut into a between styles style as I'm growing it back out after the too short version from the summer that never felt completely comfortable - like I had too much face showing. While she cut my hair, I asked my friend the stylist what she thought of me returning to work and her reply stunned me. She said... I don't think you'll be successful at that because hair styling is all about people pleasing and I don't see you in that role and you've been unhappy and searching for a long time so you'll quit. Being that yesterday was an incredibly emotional day, I tried to leave that comment alone before I started sobbing my eyes out. It wasn't a feel good moment. I was a stylist for almost seven years. I think I still have a good idea of what it takes even if it's a few years later. How I feel about my hair certainly hasn't changed. I imagine clients are similar too.




Today is December 1st. It's the day I decorate the house, do our Christmas letter, and get presents ready to mail, bake butter tarts, make a special dinner, and serve egg nog for the first time. This year, it's roast and Yorkshire pudding which both boys enjoy - a big roast - with lots of left-overs - so that both of them can take meals home.

December is eleven twelfths of the way through the year - a year that I had hoped would end with more smooth than rough moments and so far, it hasn't gone like that. Perhaps my life is always meant to be pure drama. I hope not. I hope at some point things get a bit glossy. I feel like I've been nitter nattering about nothing of great importance for the past few months, nothing profound nor inspirational, and so I'm taking a break. There will be postings if and when I have something to show or something to say but they won't be regular every morning as I may be sleeping in or moving slow or out for a walk or some other such thing. I hope you'll continue to check back and occasionally be happy to find a posting. I have no idea how often that might happen. Things should return to normal in the new year.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - distractions and encouragement

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful statement necklace for the holidays!

    I'm sorry you've been having a rough time of it. And your friend could be totally wrong - it's just her opinion. Your Dec 1st traditions sound wonderful. I hope that things improve for you, starting immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me as if the stylist was still smarting from a mean customer. Try not to dwell on her comment. You'll do well, I am sure. (You wouldn't have left the customer service at the fabric store except for health reasons, no?) Enjoy your respite. We'll be here for you when you're ready to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous necklace and it looks very expensive... U have great taste.

    It always surprises me when people say things that may hurt someone. I often wonder if they have considered whether or not their comments are to feed their own ego or if its something that will help that person.

    I am going to miss not reading ur blog but I certainly understand the need for restoration. I too have decided to take a break to do some things that I want to do...like reading for instance. Right now I am reading Mark Nepo's book called 'The Book of Awakening: having the life you want by being present to the life you have'.
    I should have waited until Jan 1 to start but I couldn't wait. If U read it you will understand and that's if U haven't read it before.

    Will look forward to ur postings whenever U feel like posting. Have a blessed and restful break. Johnette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I like the necklace. Sometimes retail therapy is what is needed. I go for months without buying anything for me and then buy several things within a week. I don't feel that this is bad--I don't over spend. The important thing is buying only what we love and not buying to buy.
    As for how you are feeling about where you are going; take the time you need and do what makes you feel good. I will miss your daily blogs, but it more important that you take the time to get yourself into a better space.
    Happy December 1
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not take over Tony's salon if he is closing down? Sounds like an opportunity to me. You could hire a full time stylist to work alongside you on a temporary basis until you get your confidence back or perhaps Tony would consider staying on in a casual/part time capacity. Just some thoughts. Ignore your hairdressers comments. She probably just doesn't want the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last anonymous writer said just what I was thinking! See if Tony wants to have you there anyway. He'll have an empty salon and you'd be able to pick up some of his clients who'll be needing a new stylist.

    Your stylist either didn't want the competition or she felt she was close enough to you to tell you what she really thought even if it was unkind. I'd ignore her if I were you.

    I'll miss you, but I understand. I hope you're able to continue after the new year.
    Hugs, Carrie

    ReplyDelete