_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 17 December 2021

A Christmas Necklace

My plan for Christmas this year was to spend it with my daughter and her family including my two grandsons. It would have been the first time I'd spent Christmas with the boys at their house and I had been very much looking forward to being there. My daughter's birthday is December 21st so I planned to travel to her house on Monday getting there in time to celebrate with her the next day and then look after the boys while her husband took her out for dinner. There has been so little to look forward to during this pandemic that even the smallest outing becomes significant so you can imagine how important this trip was - is - to me. 

Right now, it's not cancelled however, it is in jeopardy awaiting test results to see if the person I spent time with, and who was directly exposed to Covid, tests negative or positive. And even if the results are negative, Christmas is still nine days away and with the rapid spread of this new variant it's hard to know what's going to happen since my daughter lives in a different health region in a different province. It's not a discussion I want to have here on the blog since it's quite a sensitive topic however, I am attempting to distract myself from how angry I am that the individual was not vaccinated and that their freedom of choice is impacting mine. 





According to my grandsons, I am a silly grandma which is a title I'm totally willing to live up to since it's far more fun than being a beige grandma. To amuse them, and just because, I sewed some Christmas pants using a somewhat gaudy print of decorations and the Burda 7400 pant pattern. I have been sewing this pattern for at least ten years and it is still my favourite. The only changes I made, way back when, were to swap the ribbed waistband for an elastic one and reshape the crotch seam to fit me better. 




A statement necklace is part of my style and Christmas pants definitely need a Christmas necklace. This decoration turned pendant was my starting point and then I made a series of aluminum foil balls that were then covered with polymer clay, pierced, baked, painted, textured, and glazed into hand-formed beads. 





I'd hoped the wear the pants and necklace today to a get together with my knitting group only I'm staying home. I won't know the test results in time and I can't be that person. I couldn't live with the guilt of having knowingly exposed someone because I wanted to wear my party pants especially as almost all the women are older than me and some have compromised immune systems. As I write this, I haven't decided if I'm going to wear them today or not but on Christmas day for sure.  The boys might have to see them online. 




It wasn't until I looked at this picture that I saw the issue with the clasp and I didn't have what it took to restring it especially as it's for me and not a piece for sale. Maybe later. Maybe never. It is good and enough for now. I'll still have fun wearing it.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - pretty shiny objects

5 comments:

  1. So glad you're blogging again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great necklace and despite the pants could be a very refined Christmas outfit. Surely to be truly gaudy you need the ubiquitous Christmas sweater. I second that comment lovely to have you back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My youngest son is good at the ubiquitous Christmas sweaters. I imagine one will show up. I like the idea of being on that edge - is she gaudy or isn't she?

      Delete
  3. I've missed your blog posts! so glad you are back and I do hope it works out that you can spend Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear that I've been missed. This week is harder than I thought because as you will have read in today's post, I did make it to my daughter's. Once I get home it's that lovely stretch of time between Christmas and spring when I get to spend most of it in the studio. YES YES.

      Delete