_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 10 November 2010

A Hint Of The Original

Everyone at knitting has come to think of my project as the never ending black sweater. I knit another eight inches last night. There's twelve to go. Knitting only at knit night, it's going to take me another two, possibly three, weeks to finish this. That's WAY TOO LONG so - starting this morning - I'll knit for at least half an hour a day and get it done.

I'm intrigued by people who have more than one passion. They sew and knit and garden and cook and bead and weave and... and... and... That's not me. I sew and I knit but I rarely knit at home. Knitting is my getting out with other people while keeping your hands busy socialization skill. At home, I'd rather sew. That makes my knitting projects rather long winded.




The skirt was drafted with a 1 1/4" hem. It looked fine across the straight front but puckered and ugly around the shaped back. After trying a few different options, I settled on serging, turning, and top stitching in place. With the crinkle taffeta, it works.

The lining is seamed although it's going to take some adjusting when I sew it into the waist. Even though I cut two inches off the pattern length, it appears to be hanging too low. I may need to shorten it again and to finish the hem with lace for a prettier look, just in case it's visible from the front because the back is longer.




The lace skirt and silk dupioni top that I wore to my daughter's wedding matched wonderfully. You wouldn't think so if you saw the pictures. It's amazing how a photograph changes color. The sweater knit and the crinkle taffeta go together better than they appear to in this picture. They're both a blue based purple.




This is my T & T t-shirt pattern with gathered sleeves taken from McCall's 6164. Whenever I wear it, I get A LOT of compliments and appear to have lost weight. The t-shirt is derived from New Look 6735 although I've made so many changes now that only a hint of the original remains. I'm using it as the starting point for my sweater.




I put another version of the t-shirt on Millicent. This one has the same ballet neckline that I plan to use in the front of my sweater. The ribbed strip is pinned to simulate a collar. I like this look from the front but....




... not from the back. If the back was higher maybe. However, I wanted a high front and a low back to compliment the prissy front and flippy back of the skirt.




Above, I tried a circular drape as opposed to a pointed one. It's too stiff to do what I want so I'll keep that ribbed strip for another project and use a simple neckline.




To determine how low to drop the back, I put on one of my T & T t-shirts, placed a pin just above the bra strap, and measured the distance - 9". Years ago, I had a wonderful sundress with a low to the waist back and tiered flippy skirt. I'd have loved to try something like that again only back then I didn't have much of a bust and the girls were a lot perkier. Now, I'd have to figure out the bra thing. NOT! - 9" will do.




The center back of the t-shirt is seamed and shaped for better fit. I added an extension for a row of small buttons although they won't actually open and close. I'll sew them through both layers to seam the back.




The side seams have been straightened for now while I debate either elastic shirring at the sides or tucks in the front and back. I won't decide until after the neckline and sleeves are finished. I don't want too much going on. I don't want plain and boring either. I want soft, touchable, and slightly sexy.




With the black t-shirt above, the sleeves are elbow length. You can see where they would have ended by the black lines on the pattern piece. The turquoise lines extend the sleeves to three quarter length which is one of my favourites.

I'd planned to clean house today. Tomorrow is Remembrance Day and it would be nice for it to be clean and shiny since we're all home but... I'm not really feeling like cleaning. We'll see - after my half hour - at least - of knitting. Maybe I'll have a burst of speed and get it all done. LOL - maybe not.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - After our youngest son bought a car, even though he doesn't have a driver's license yet, we had way too many cars on the driveway. Last night, we sold one. One more to go and then we plan to buy a new-to-me car and Howard will start driving mine to work. We're rotating the stock in the evolution of driving.

1 comment:

  1. I love that purple colour. The black t-shirts looks great. It does show off your teeny waist.

    ReplyDelete