_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 12 November 2010

Do The Math First

The purple sweater is not finished. I didn't sew a stitch yesterday. I read and I knit. While I was reading, I'd want to be knitting and while I was knitting, I'd want to be reading. It didn't seem like I could settle to one or the other which is my competitive nature kicking in. I so want to be finished knitting this sweater.




In case you don't remember, I'm working on the Crossover Top from the Vogue Winter 2009 magazine. It's designed for the cross over band to be picked up on one side of the front, knit in one long section, wrapped around the back, and attached to the other side of the front. Because a picked up edge and a sewn on edge look vastly different, I decided to knit it in two sections that would meet at center back. I'm glad I chose to do that because...






Here's how far apart the back sections are at the hips when they meet at the waist. The points are 4 1/4" from the center seam on Millicent's little black dress. That's 8 1/2" of stretching - a lot. Pulled like that, the fabric would bunch up at the waist. I decided to use short rows to shape the ends and fill in the gap.




The gauge is 28 rows equals 4" so I need roughly 28 rows on each end. Above, the short rows are spaced every two stitches. When I got to this stage, I figured that was enough and you can see below that it would have worked except that....




... there's a funny bump shape in the middle that stuck out when I used a three needle cast off to seam the ends together. It looked like a boob at my back waist AND... I twisted the ends when I joined them. DARN.

Thinking that I needed a more gradual shaping, I ripped back to the starting point and then did the math. DO THE MATH FIRST. Mathematically figured, I should have just kept on shaping the short rows, which is what I'm doing now. When I'm finished, the back should lay gracefully around, untwisted, without bunching up at the waist. I hope. We'll see what really happens. (Edited 7:26 am... actually.... the shorts rows should be every 4 stitches. Good thing I did the math again before knitting this morning.)

Later this morning, I'm getting my hair cut. My hairstylist is a friend who lives about 45 minutes out of town. I'll take my knitting along and after the hair cut and lunch, if she doesn't have another client, we'll knit and chat.




Victoria wrote: I've always wanted a rebounder/mini trampoline. Since you've had one for so long, which would you recommend?

The first one I bought was from Wal-Mart and was quite cheap. The legs kept coming loose causing it to wobble while you were jumping. Dangerous. My current one is from an exercise equipment store. If I remember right, I paid around a hundred dollars for it six or seven years ago. It has a larger diameter which allows for safer and wider jumping room, six well spaced legs made from sturdy metal that stay screwed on tightly, and strong springs. I'd advise going a little higher end.

I imagine there would be some exercise information available on-line. My routine is also twenty-four years old. It's ten different positions that one of the women I worked with at the time taught me. She highly recommended the mini tramp. It worked so well that after I starting using it, several of my friends bought one too. The tramp is inexpensive compared to a lot of exercise equipment and quite effective. It tightens all over but especially through the stomach, butt, legs, and lower pelvic area. I also have a Pilate's ball, light weights, and resistance bands but I rarely use them. The tramp I keep coming back to.

Have a great weekend. Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a one project at a time, well developed, strong but good habit that keeps me from running away from projects that aren't cooperating. Digging in and doing helps me learn and gets "it" done. Sometimes it drives me crazy but... it's a good habit.

1 comment:

  1. Millicent sure did come in handy with the sweater! What a great pictorial for using short rows-a technique I have not yet used but can see the value of. Seeing the back of the sweater, it now makes perfect sense to seam the crossover in the back. In addition to making both front sections appear the same, the upper back portion already has a center seam. Looking forward to seeing the finished top. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete