_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Backwards Potential

We woke up to white this morning. It started snowing last night around supper time and stayed on the ground. It's still there this morning although the roads and driveways are clear and it's quite foggy meaning it's warm enough to melt. So begins the beauty and the mucky cycles of our winters lately.

THANK YOU for your comments. I love the exchange of conversation. How wonderful that we have the Internet as a way of talking together. Your thoughts and ideas make me feel so much less isolated, a part of a sewing community.

Lorrie wrote: I discovered libraries are wonderful places that save me all kinds of money.

Karen wrote: Although I probably have the highest overdue fines if added up over the last 34 years, the library is where I go to get books.

There are many reasons why I do and why I don't use the library but - in terms of romance reading - it's not quick enough. I've been reading romances since I was twelve years old. Everything on the shelf, I've already read. Reading is one way that I relax. It's my sitcom since I don't watch TV. On a "good" reading day, I can easily read one or two books and I don't re-read novels that I've already read. When the next book by an author, or in a series, comes out, I'm too impatient to get in the months long line-up at the library. I want to read it now. That said, I do need to pace things a bit slower.

I had been contemplating an e-reader. I think they're perfect for text heavy books like romances or self help although not at all perfect for art and how-to books. Those I'd still want to purchase. When I first looked at buying an e-reader, the download books were far less expensive. I liked that idea as well as going paperless. However, with time and more research, I'm discovering that the books are no longer substantially reduced in price nor are they as quickly available as print copies. It'd be just like the library, waiting for months, which makes no sense when digital is so easy to format. BUT, that was the information I got from a fellow romance reader who works at our local Chapters. Time will tell I guess. The potential is there.

KID, MD wrote - I love the idea of ribbing the lower sleeve. I think that will be very sleek looking with the ruching.




It turned out quite well. I cut off the interfaced hem and used a lettuce edge instead and then sewed the underarm seam wider merging into the 5/8" right at the underarm. Now the sleeve sits tighter against the arm and is more flattering. I like it.

Sue wrote - You wouldn't possibly want to attempt some of that lovely twin-needling on the front and back of the top??? It would draw it in and add shape. Whether it would be too much, I don't know.

I ended up staying home from knitting last night to drive my son back and forth to his Christmas party so I had some time to sew. I finished the sleeves and sewed the buttons in place. Now I can determine how much and how to shape the waist. Rows of twin-needling is one option. Tucks or elastic are others.

ParisGrrl and Bunny's suggestion to try it on "backwards" with the V at the front was a great idea especially since I won't be wearing it to the party anymore. The other way around makes it practical again, something it wasn't with a low back. So far, backwards has potential. I'll have more details once I figure out the waist shaping.




The rhinestone buckles came in the mail yesterday. They are GORGEOUS. I ordered from Sew Biz Fabrics and the service was quick and excellent, the quality is high, and the prices are reasonable. The square was $7.99 and the circle was $8.99.




The lacy RTW tops came in purple, blue, and black. One of them might have worked except they were low cut and high exposure. Not my style. While I was looking around the store, I found these earrings and ring. When I showed them to Howard, he said a bit big for me but I know you like that kind of thing. He's so cute. Good thing he likes me in that kind of thing.




This tunic top - or dress - or whatever it is - is exactly the right color. As you can see, it's quite figure hugging. I'm not sure why they wanted the belt loops so low. That's certainly not a flattering position however, it won't matter. I'm refashioning it. I laughed when the cashier said I had until January 8th to return it. I doubt they'll take it back after I've wacked off the bottom, re-hemmed it, and turned the excess into longer sleeves.




Here you can see the top and skirt fabrics together. The color is an exact match. The only difference is the shine of the two surfaces affected - of course - by how the camera caught the light.




The tunic came with a cheap plastic plus elastic belt. It's REALLY tacky but the idea is good. I'm deciding whether I'd like to buy a belt or sew one. I have some belting elastic bought in the summer that might be nice with a bow closure. The belt and the earrings would be enough jewelry. If I go with a black belt, I could wear some black shoes that I already own. I wore them last year and they were perfect for dancing. Unless, of course, I find another pair of perfectly colored red shoes. I wish they'd had those other ones in half sizes.

Yesterday morning, I cleaned house so everything is shiny clean. This morning, I want to wash out the fridge and wipe down the kitchen cabinets. After that, coffee with a friend and then I'll work some more on the purple sweater.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finding a top in the perfect color even if it needs refashioning AND the ability to refashion

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the new sweater refashioning and I also think wearing your knitted sweater backwards is a terrific idea. Love the jewelry too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sleeves. That sideways shot looks like "backwards" might work. With your accessories, this ensemble is finally coming together. You are focused, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the accessories and love how the two purples match even though they are completely different textures. Looking forward to see how you refashion the tunic top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing to check out is my library lets you have a list of authors who are your favorites and every time a new book comes out by your authors they put it on hold for you. I love this. I usually get new books fairly quickly. I am an avid reader and dthere is no way I could justify buying the books I read. sometimes I can't justify the overdue fines either.

    ReplyDelete