_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 26 November 2010

Dreaming Of Cables

It snowed... and snowed.... and snowed and snowed and snowed yesterday. I was out from nine to three and the roads worsened progressively over the course of the day. As I was slip sliding my way over to Fabricland on the North Shore, it occurred to me that this was not the best day to be out and about Christmas shopping - HOWEVER - I am - mostly - finished and that's fabulous. All the gifts are done. There are a few more stocking stuffers to pick up and that's it. I love getting to this point. It makes the season way more enjoyable. YES YES!

One of the gifts on Howard's wish list was hilarious. When I got to the electronics store and asked for the Bose full coverage headset, the guy's eyes lit right up. Those are fabulous, he said. They were also in a locked cabinet which right away tells you the price will be HIGH. When I called Howard and asked did you know these are $350.00, he said, maybe not. Too funny.




Mid morning, I met a friend for coffee. She laughed when she walked up to the table and saw me knitting. In the thirteen years that we've known each other, that's the first time I've brought knitting along. I'm desperate to be done and thought I might be early for coffee - which I was - and when she said that she didn't mind, I kept on knitting. Above, the cowl is at 12". That's halfway. I'm dreaming of cables. Anything but rib.

While I'm enjoying making this for my daughter, it's because I'm making it for my daughter. I am not enjoying another, never ending, ribbed project. I'll be knitting on it steady for the next few days. My plan is to finish and get it in the mail early December along with her birthday card although the cowl is not her present. That's a purse that we bought way back when, when she found it on sale and loved it, and that she assures me is in a box not being used until the day - LOL - except for job interviews as in it may not be in a box anymore.




This Debbie Bliss cabled cardigan has been on my knit list for a long time. I tried to look up the pattern for you but couldn't find it quickly in my magazines so I'll have to dig deeper. I think it's gorgeous, especially the back, except for the fact that....




... it in no way fits the model. It's way too big through the shoulders and chest. I found that with another Debbie Bliss pattern that I knit last year, which could be her patterns, or could be my narrow shoulders, or both. When I find the pattern, I'll come back and add it here. If you know what magazine it's from please let me know. I'm guessing it's an issue of Vogue Knitting. (I was wrong. It's the Cable Vent Jacket from the Fall/Winter 2008 Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine - page 19/20.)

My youngest son has the day off school. After he sleeps in, we're going out for breakfast and then to do his Christmas shopping. Since he'll be able to drive and will have his own car next year, this is probably the last time we'll be doing this together. It's exciting to watch my children grow up, mature, become adults, and shape their own lives only I miss some of our traditions as they fade away. You can only hope that they have happy memories of those times or at least that confident feeling of being loved and supported. They are fabulous kids.

Have a wonderful weekend. Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - finished gift shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment