_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 25 November 2010

Grey Ribbed Top

Before stitching yesterday, I started packaging the bras ready to return them and then I stopped because HerRoom.com uses IShopUSA to deliver internationally. Apparently, they charge a $20.00 restocking charge. That fee plus the original shipping, the return shipping, and the exchange, duty, and taxes would mean that I'd paid for the bras but didn't have them. That's dumb so I'm keeping them and will either sell or alter them.

A huge learning lesson... again... since I can be too compulsive. Although, to be fair, there is NOTHING in the HerRoom return policy that talks about the restocking charge. Since they are using this third party, in my opinion, that charge should be mentioned under the information on international orders. Plus, IShopUSA has not returned my email requesting a return merchandise authorization code - in three days. I think that's poor service. Live and learn.

I also filled out a job application for a two day a week position at the university. Someone I know who knows someone who works there told me that most of the positions are already filled and they're only posted due to union regulations. That's common to a lot of businesses with a union so it may be true. I hope not in this case. It would be nice to get an interview. The job sounds interesting.




The V center and angled corners of the neck shape were made by stitching across the binding at the back at a forty-five degree angle. Works wonderful and is much easier than angled seams.




To make the mock belt, I fused a 1 1/8" wide strip of fusi-knit to the back of the fashion fabric, turned over a 1/4" seam allowance to the back, slid on the buckle, and then pinned and top stitched the belt in place. Some hand stitches at the top and bottom of the buckle bar keep it centered. I did all that work ribbing the fabric just to have this contrast between the plain and the ribbed fabric with the belt. I like the way my...




... belt and buckle look a lot better than the RTW one above that I was inspired by. The neckline depth is more comfortable (not so low and wide) and flattering on me. It could have been slightly lower but not too much. I'll know for next time.




This is NOT the finished garment. This is it before fine tuning. Every fabric has a fabric factor. Even though you're working with a T & T pattern, there will always be adjustments. In this case, there was too much ease through the waist, bust, and bicep. The top needed to have more negative ease. You can see it's a bit big on Millicent as well.




I removed 2" at the underarm arm tapered to 3/8" along the entire underarm seam and tapered to 1 1/2" at the waist blending into the hip along the side seam. That's 8" off the bust and 6" off the waist. Now, the top fits more closely through the sides where I'm quite flat but still skims the hips without pulling too tight, which would cause the hem to raise. Speaking of the hem...




With the long sleeves, the sleeve and hip hems were at equal height. That's not a flattering design detail for someone with wider hips. As well...




... the top was slightly too long. The hems weren't removed when I cut out the pattern. I figured it would be easier to take off more than put it back if needed. The sleeves were shortened 5 1/2". Above, I carefully marked a 1" line around the hem, cut it off, and re-lettuce stitched.




Now, the sleeve and hip hem are staggered and there is more space around my body. This is a more flattering configuration for my figure. LOL - I've trimmed off all those danging threads now. Of course, they'd show up in the picture.





This image IS the finished garment. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I think it looks even better than the inspiration top, especially on me.




The cuffs and the hem along with a small amount of yardage and a lot of ribbed scraps have been put away for a future project. These bits and pieces will be useful for something. Hopefully I find another sweater knit like this at some point in the future. It's delightful to work with.

Today is banking, coffee with a friend, and then some Christmas shopping. It's been snowing since yesterday afternoon so I hope it's not too difficult - and mucky - getting around. I do wish the snow wouldn't fall on the roads and driveways. That would be so convenient. Rain is not so pretty but at least it doesn't need to be shovelled - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a successful sewing project - fun too!

6 comments:

  1. Замечательная кофта! Интересно как низ обработан???

    ReplyDelete
  2. To translate Anita's comment from Russian, she wrote:

    Remarkable jacket! Interestingly as the bottom is processed???

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very special, a masterpiece. Loved to read how you made the fabric and made a personal copy of your inspiration piece. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful sweater that will be wonderful to wear and be what you wanted in a more flattering fit and style, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm fascinated and impressed. Your fabric work is definitely something to aspire to. Now please model it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top has turned out wonderfully well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete