_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 26 April 2012

Impatiently Waiting

Mel wrote - You're back! Yah!!! I've been (impatiently) waiting to see how the new house is shaping up!!




LOL - me too! Yesterday they delivered the flooring for upstairs. It's acclimatizing and will be installed on Monday, Tuesday, and possibly Wednesday if it takes longer than anticipated. How lovely it will be to have real floor and to push the furniture around and arrange things and "move in". The finishing carpenter that I've worked with several times before is coming today to measure. Hopefully he can do the baseboards at the end of next week and then all the raw edges will be covered up.




The studio is a work in progress. This is the view looking toward the stairs (behind the green wall). Until I can get the light fixtures changed to full spectrum fluorescent tubes, there are extra lights all over the place. It's only this nice and bright first thing in the morning otherwise it has a weird glow that's difficult to see in. That will change. So will the blue wall. It will - eventually - be green like the rest of the room and I'm debating changing the island. Now that I've done a bit of sewing in here, I think it would be better in the other direction with the end against the window wall.




Looking the other way, my sewing desk is the far one. Barb is using the closer one during her visit. That means when I sit on the couch to knit we can still talk. It also means I'm always walking around the second desk to the work island. We'll see how I feel about that when I'm sewing alone. I'm debating painting the door a shade of fuchsia like the exterior doors at my previous house. LOVED that color.




This is the closet where all my stuff isn't. It needs primer and then two coats of paint as does Howard's closet and the storage closet and Howard's office and the hallway. I plan to paint those spaces on Friday because...




... this is the stuff that needs to be stored. There's more stuff than storage so I'm rethinking some of my systems. Besides the paint color, what bothered me on Saturday was that everything was the same. It was like I had picked my studio up, moved it, and plonked it down in a not quite as wonderful space. I have carpet. I prefer hardwood. I have openings. I prefer doors. I have a closet. I'd prefer a bigger closet. BUT... that said... I'm very happy with the move and just need to figure out how to make things work. The carpet now has chair mats. The curl-up chair became a curl-up couch. The trunk moved from an upstairs coffee table to a downstairs studio one. I gave away the fabric shelves and plan to replace them with a lower dresser so I can hang more artwork on the walls. Things like that.




This blue cabinet was in the kitchen before and held Tupperware. Now it's in the hallway between my studio and Howard's office and will hold games. The door beside it is to the laundry room.




Here's the long view of the hallway between our spaces. First on the right is my closet. Second on the right is the larger one currently holding all my boxes. At the end with the ladder is Howard's closet. The room back left with the opening is his office and will eventually have French doors. It's all good. Just needs painting and shelves and doors and arranging. Time.

Yesterday I worked on a purse for Lyn, my realtor. I used fabric left over from The Handbag Project last fall. I'm excited with how it's coming together. Pictures asap.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- stacks of laminate everywhere upstairs and imminent flooring

2 comments:

  1. Your sewing room looks divine! I love how spacious it is. The green you've chosen to paint the walls is my favourite Colour, too, but I really like it with that one blue wall. It kind of blends with the blue bench that you have in one of your photos. I'd be sorely tempted to keep that one wall a different colour. Fuchsia doors sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I downsized my sewing room, I splurged on one of those Elga armoires from Ikea, the kind with the mirrored doors, and that has made such a difference. I can get a ton of sewing supplies in that thing, and the mirrors are useful as well as making the space seem larger. I also put in a really kooky chandelier in there, to add some whimsy to the space. And for the record, I love your rogue blue wall in your new space--it's fun!

    ReplyDelete