_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Purple Couch Cushions

I sewed.
In my studio.
It was wonderful.
YEAH !



On Monday, the love seats came back from the re-upholster along with the left over fabric, a purple/brown tweed-ish look that changes colors depending on the light and the angle. The overexposed picture below shows you what I mean. After trying several different possibilities for couch cushions using the remnants seemed like the best possible choice - and it was - because - surprisingly - since I'd bought 18 meters - there were only two meters left and that was exactly the amount needed for six purple couch cushions.




I sewed four 20" squares and two 13" x 20" rectangles each with a zippered opening on the back. They used up all but a few scrap strips of the couch fabric and all of the pillow forms in my stash. I had to buy one more 20". It can't get more perfect than that. No closet space needed.




This is what's left. The pile on the left I threw in my thread basket. I'll pull it apart to include in some thread lace. The pile on the right is about eight 1 1/2" strips x 20" left from trimming the edges of the pillow backs to match the top. They'd work in a purse. I'm not sure I'm going to bother to keep them.




When I ordered the seat foam, I chose the highest density because the woman at the foam store told me that she'd bought the one down and a year later was unhappy. This is the firmest firm foam I've ever come across. It's like sitting on a piece of plywood but I know it'll soften up soon. I put the seat cushions on the floor and Kyle and I jumped on them to start the softening process. He'd be the only child of mine who has ever been allowed to jump on the furniture... and only the cushions... and only that once... just for fun.




On Saturday, when the furniture was moved into my studio, it didn't feel like me. Something was off - actually a few somethings but I'm making one change at a time. To start, the blue walls were too dark, swallowed the light, and hid the furniture. On Monday morning, I painted them my favourite lime - except for the one behind the work island which is too heavy to move without help. It feels much better. There are a few things left to do. I'll post pictures when everything is ready. At least it's sewable now. YES YES

My friend Barb is visiting for the week. We've been talking a lot about knowing ourselves. One thing I've learned over the years is to trust my intuition when I know something just isn't going to work for me. If it can be changed, I change it. One gallon of paint and a few hours of my time was worth feeling comfortable in my studio.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful
- a day of sewing

4 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that things are coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! Yay!!!

    I've been (impatiently) waiting to see how the new house is shaping up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really appreciate the need to be surrounded by colours that work for you. There are colours that maybe look good on me, but they just don't make me happy. I'm glad to hear it's all coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colour is SO important to how a person feels. Well, to some people. I don't think my husband could care less.

    ReplyDelete