_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 11 April 2012

In The Middle Of The Mess

After thinking that everything was on track, the renovations have slowed down considerably with the gyproc stage. It's taking DAYS to board and the mudding and taping hasn't even started. The mess is overwhelming... to me... I'm not good with mess, with visible clutter, with men who take hours to do seemingly nothing BUT...



... I am experienced with moving and renovations and I know that after a good cry and a day on the couch, things improve. That was yesterday.




When I get to the house this morning everything is supposed to be out of my studio space so the carpet cleaners can come. THAT would be encouraging. Here's hoping.





In the middle of the mess, I received an email from Marcy and Diane about the Designing Outside the Lines retreat in June. Each teacher has a different focus. Marcy described hers as - to explore making functional, well designed and creative clothes for everyday life while stretching my own imagination and design boundaries. That certainly sums up what I'm interested in.

The supply list gives me something to think about. It's ...


- Surface design or hand sewing materials if you want to go in this direction
 

-
Small design file of ideas/images that are exciting and can influence a direction you would like your work to go 

-
Sewing Machine: for some this may be optional 

- A selection of patterns, fabrics, trims, ribbon. Be selective here, go with what you love; a color scheme, a new design direction....less is better than more
 

-
Sewing kit with your favorite tools for sewing & pattern adjusting etc.

-
Interfacings and a bit of fleece just in case 

-
For closures: cording, beads or other jewelry elements, buttons etc. 

-
Leave empty space so there is room for something magical to enter






On the 21st, my friend Barb is visiting for a few days. She's offered to clean or rip out or renovate or paint whatever needs to be cleaned, ripped, renovated, or painted. NOT happening. No matter what needs what, we'll be sewing although it appears it may be on the dining room table. Good enough - LOL.

... I need to sew and I need some creative everyday clothing. If you took a look inside my closet right now you'd see that the highest percentage is of skirts and after that t-shirts. Those and casual pants and a simple dress are what I'm thinking about. Patterns like Vogue 2064, 1292, 1296, and 8646 above. YEAH!

The neighbours across the street came over the welcome us last night while Howard was working at the townhouse. They brought a card and homemade buns and it turns out we know them. They went to the church I grew up in and that Howard and I attended for a few years after we married. I would guess they are in their mid to late seventies now. He's a metal artist and she's an amazing seamstress. I'm looking forward to those discussions. A unit higher there's a sewing machine sitting in the bedroom window. That looks hopeful too.

Blogger is being very weird with font and spacing and spell check today. Hopefully this publishes readable.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a good cry and welcoming neighbours

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. It's likely my 3rd floor will be renovated this summer and I intend to leave for 2 weeks while they do the demo and the really hideous work. I am totally overwhelmed by mess and chaos. Just remember (though I know it's almost impossible to do so): This is only a moment in time. When everything's done you will love it!

    PS: I really like that top with the asymmetric neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your sewing creative juices are flowing again. It'll be interesting to see which patterns you sew up first.

    When your friend comes to visit, take your studio's measurements with you, and have some fun at Ikea. I bought the all white 3' high wheeled carts with four wire drawers that open on either end. There is also an optional white laminate top that is strong and the perfect work surface when needed. I've rolled four of them under my cutting table. You may need upright cabinets for maximum storage, but thought I'd tell you about my new favorite Ikea item.

    You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete