_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 30 April 2012

Focus On Details

Less than two months ago, I got rid of a HUGE box of patterns and what am I doing? Buying more patterns in the latest BMV Club sale. Sigh.

In a recent posting, Carolyn said "In the middle of making this dress, I just got the feeling that I've made this dress before." She went on to conclude that there are only so many ways to interpret the same silhouette BUT - with a focus on details - each interpretation can be ever so slightly different with its own lessons to teach. I'm keeping that in mind as I buy and sew new variations on an old theme.

These patterns were chosen for their design lines, their ability to fit and flatter my figure, and for the custom fit cup sizing. Those have become my buying criteria and were the same criteria I used to weed my pattern stash so even if I am buying more patterns, I am at least being consistent - LOL - and there's room in the drawer.




Vogue 8814 struck me as a lovely Mother of the Groom dress. Not that any of my sons is getting married or even dating anyone but the pattern has potential so I'm buying it just in case. I especially like view A with the scoop neck, full back, and ability to add sleeves.



The pattern notes that there is no provision for above the waist adjustments except that my adjustment is to petite the pattern by taking an 1" out of the armhole and looking at the line drawing that still looks doable. With cup sizing the FBA is already taken care of.




Vogue 8817 is a Katharine Tilton design. What I liked about this particular pattern was the French seaming that allows for more shape. T-shirts that are loose through the waist do very little for my figure.




I'm not sure about the tunic length. Tights, tunics, and my hips are not the greatest combo HOWEVER... a little lengthening and this could make an easy wearing dress. The color blocking potential is there although I doubt I'll get it sewn before the color blocking trend is over BUT... I can certainly see mixing solids and patterns. If you click through to the website, one view uses lace inserts. I have some black spider lace that would be fun.




Vogue 1297 is one of Sandra Betzina's design. They are always a little wacky and a lot fun. I think view A with the gathers at the hip could make me look bottom heavy but view B with...



... the fold over flap has potential. I could try both - just to see - it'd be fun. I like the stripes and sleeves could be added for a friendly to flabby arms and/or wear in winter version.




The website describes Vogue 1307 as harem pants only they don't have the dropped crotch that I associate with harem pants.



These pants are another of Sandra's designs. Both views have potential. They remind me of my favourite Burda pants. Slightly different. Same idea.




A couple of years ago, I tried on a dress at a shop in Nanaimo that I really liked and bought a Kwik Sew pattern as a base to copy it from only Kwik Sew doesn't come with cup sizing like this Butterick 5745 pattern which has...




... both vertical and horizontal seaming making it even easier to fit. It brings me ever so slightly closer to copying the dress. Slightly.




From lots of details to almost none, McCalls 6571 is a Palmer Pletsch design and that's why I bought it. Patti's patterns are always well drafted with excellent instructions. The pants are elastic waist with no side seams. That style looks good on me without the side seam meandering around my curves. The t-shirt is very clean and simple. All fun.

Today is a magical day. Chris the floor man is coming to start laying the floor. He should be done tomorrow or Wednesday morning at the latest. I am SO EXCITED. We are getting very very close to getting all our stuff in a closet and settling into some sort of normalcy.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - real floor

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you understood what I was saying...and I've found like you that I should stay with what works for me! But I really dropped by to say thanks for the link to the McCalls pattern. Those pants are exactly what I'm looking for so I will use them with my TNT pants pattern to get a new pants look!

    ReplyDelete