_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 8 November 2012

A Go To Chair

In my previous studio - meaning the one in the other house - I had an extra wide, curl-up chair. It had cat prints across the cushion and one arm from where my friend's kitten had walked through black paint and then over the chair but I didn't mind. They were character prints. The chair was free and incredibly comfortable.




When we moved, I planned to use a loveseat in the studio and there was no room for the chair so we gave it away. BIG MISTAKE. More than any other feature of my previous studio, I miss that chair. Perhaps it's a case of not knowing what you have until it's gone because that was the first time I'd had a curl-up chair. I didn't realize how accustomed I'd gotten to journalling or reading or knitting or hand sewing or visiting or relaxing or having a good cry in that chair. With each successive move, there has been less and less furniture in the studio - so no chair and no loveseat - and I've realized it's important to me to have a go to chair. 

Some of you will laugh. Some of you will think I'm so completely crazy that I almost hate to admit that we are moving my studio... again. It's going back to the original location only this time the room will be divided in half with Howard at one end and me at the other. We plan to have our contractor build a 6' high temporary wall between the two spaces giving us the division we need while still providing light to each side. The configuration on my side will be vastly different from the last time I was in that space since almost all the furniture is gone and the island is now a work counter.  Which means...




... once everything is arranged I'll have room for a curl-up chair again. I can't get my other one back but this one from Ikea is almost as big. It's 41" wide with a comfy cushion and nicely curved arms and it comes in lilac which I'd love except that...




... I already have this gorgeous purple upholstery fabric. There's five meters 56" wide which should be enough for a chair cover but if not, I can mix it with another fabric because...





... buying the ugly white version and sewing my own cover from the "free" fabric would save a significant amount. For a bit of my time and a chair I'd love - I'm in. I'll use the white cover as a pattern. The chair is on my Christmas list. It meets all the Christmas criteria except for the budget - it's somewhat more than we'd normally spend but we'll see. Maybe Santa can swing it. Maybe Santa's helper should look around town for other good deals first - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - an understanding and accommodating family

3 comments:

  1. Grateful - an understanding and accommodating family
    That is so true and easy to take for granted.

    I have a spot on our couch that has worn faster than the rest because I like the sit there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! I am about to give away the sofa that I usually use as my campsite to I can get a good chair. A new kind of campsite to get used to but I can take it! I need the change.

    Myra your persistence in making manifest your ideal studio is inspiring! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand...years ago I had a bargain basement upholstered rocking chair in my sewing room, and I still miss the tacky thing. I'd get something to replace it, but there's not quite room in my new space. I think it takes about 2 years to (really) figure out where things should go in any new space, at least in terms of what feels best, so why not move things about and find out what really works best for you? I hope you find a great new chair, and an artistic kitten to replicate the signature look lol.

    ReplyDelete